I Need Someones Opinion?

CyberLeopardGaming

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
My Laptop, Eh...its O.K. but not the best.
about a month ago i came up with the idea of saving up for a gaming pc, and i thought that because i always want to burn a hole in my pocket, i could never do it. Well, as of right now i have saved up $40.00 so far, and im only earning 10 dollars every 2 weeks for doing chores(and my mom can barely afford to give me that) and i keep on switching between building one, or buying one. and when i decided that i want to build one, i come up with like 50 different "Final Builds" and i say "There, thats what im going to save up for" but then i just keep on changing my mind...then my friend told me to just buy one, and i know that you can get more performance from building one rather than buying one....and then i keep on switching on whether to get AMD or Intel....and the problem is that because i'm only getting 10 dollars every 2 weeks (Well, technically 5 dollars every week...) its gonna take me a while to get even up to $200.00! (Well, i do get money for good grades, and for christmas...) but my point is i don't want to wait long because pretty soon i'm gonna say "I'm gonna go blow my money, i cant take it anymore" but i was thinking of putting my money in a savings account, that way i cant touch it...another thing....when i had a final build chosen i was stuck on whether or not to buy all the parts as i go, or save up until i can buy all of the parts at once....
i really need a suggestion on what to do....if i don't like saving up for a long time, should i just save up to a certain amount? (Like...400.00 or something?) also my friend told me to get the best possible (So like, 900.00.....) and also im wondering if you guys could give me a budget to go for?

What Should I Do?!? (BTW, im in 8th Grade and 13 yrs old)

Solution

Yeah i see nothing wrong with that.

USAFRet

Titan
Collect your money first. Seeing as it will take you a while, a list of parts today isn't worth much. Prices and parts will change by the time you are ready to build.

I know it's hard to not be impulsive when you are 13, but be patient. We were all in your shoes once.

CyberLeopardGaming

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

Could you give a suggestion on how much to save up to?

USAFRet

Titan

As a general concept, price = performance. How fast do you want to go?

CyberLeopardGaming

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

Sorry for the late reply.
Anyway...it doesnt have to be the BEST but i definetly dont want it to be slow either....(So...like right in the middle i guess) i would be planning to play: Minecraft, HL2, HL, WOW, TF2, Portal, Portal 2, Wizard 101, LFD, LFD2, GMOD, GTA IV, GTA VC, GTA SA, Mirrors Edge, Assassin's Creed, Call Of Duty: Black Ops, CSS and probably a few more games that i can't think of right now...(i have a feeling im gonna need a pretty darn good Graphics Card and CPU to play all of those? lol maybe not for MC because pretty much any PC can play that) also, i plan to be programming/coding and video game design as well so im sure im going to need 8 Gigs of RAM (or maybe even more if i plan on recording)

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
I bought a $1500 PC at that age, My parents didn't give me a dime. Go out, work hard, save up and you'll get there. I guarantee you can make 200 Bucks a month doing something. It took me a whole year, working 3 days a week for a couple hours.

Save up to 1000 if you can, only spend 800. Start a savings account with the other 200. Trust me, it feels bad to spend every dollar you have. It's nice knowing that you have some left. 800 will buy you a fast pc.

USAFRet

Titan

I'd say start around the $600 area as a minimum. But again...your timeline is well off in the future.
Keep feeding that piggy bank (or bank account) and be patient.

jdwii

Splendid
Hey man this may sound funny but try getting more money try to get a simple part time job (off an actual payroll since you're under 16) simply ask around town is there anything i can do for you for work (i have no idea where you live so of course if you're in a dangerous neighborhood ask your mom first well always ask if its ok)
Ask around school(learn how to build PC's here at tomshardware that is possible gain some knowledge in that area you can get extra money for just doing that stuff i did)
So school plus town should do it if your mom does not want you doing that maybe ask her if there's anything you could possibly do to earn more, also possibly ask your own mom to keep your money (that's what i did when I was younger and I was in your position I only got 20$ every other week)

And more importantly this is 100% normal maybe you should try out some lower-end(runs of older PC’s generally fine) games first such as Age of empires, Sims, Emulators, so on that got me into PC gaming when i was stuck on a Intel celeron with intel "advanced" graphics(from 2001). Also GTA san andreas worked decent.

You could probably buy a used 100$ PC that can play those types of games at a local PC shop, maybe try to get a used PC with a PCI-Express slot and then get a video card that does not have a PCI-E connector like a 6670(can be found for 70) or a more expensive 7750(120$)

Just to ask what type of games do you want to play?

jdwii

Splendid

I agree save plus work

jdwii

Splendid
Now that i see he wants to play those games the lowest he can go is with a A10 based APU system and that would be around 500$ right now(not bad start and try to be realistic)

Also you will save money on games from PC gaming using steam simply bought that money into upgrading hardware down the line.

CyberLeopardGaming

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

hey do you think this would be good? UPDATE: I don't need Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, DVD Drive, or OS that's why there not included in the list
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1D3MW
UPDATE #2: made all parts at Amazon, I like Amazon the most ^_^
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1D4ka

jdwii

Splendid

Yeah i see nothing wrong with that.

Solution