Computer monitor goes black and computer freezes but sound still plays for around 5 to 10secs

bigb69

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Computer monitor goes black and computer freezes but sound still plays for around 5 to 10secs..and i have to hold the power button to turn pc off... i have redone drivers reinstalled windows etc.
not sure what it could be. psu? video card? MB.. if i go to play games it will do it every time..it will takes 5 to 15 mins.. even does this watching video at times.. all my temps are below 50s

its a dell so im sure thats why lol:p
but its a stock dell xps 9100..... i7 930' 8gb ram .. 525 watt psu ati 5670 1gb

Look how much tasks are running in system. Shut down task what you do not need to run. Look this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqpX_rb5VNk

Just google how to make my pc or windows faster.

Then try to run some bechmarks (video card) or wholesystem like Passmark. This isuue can video card related. Then just buy newone.
I think good card is GTX650Ti boost or better GTX 760 , 7950 or something like that. Maybe cheaper cards are good if you do not play new games.Then like 7750

bigb69

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

i dont have much stuff running at all... i have redone windows and it still happens..
so maybe its the video card going bad?? it seems like it freezes more when im playing a game 100% like of the time.. and sometimes when a video utbe/twitch playing.. but always when i play a game.. but my temps seems to be fine.. so maybe video card?

or maybe its the psu?? it cant take the load so it does that?? im really not sure

or the motherboard going bad??

bigb69

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

im not sure what to run in the passmark. but when i play games my cpu are in the 50s and my gpu are in the 70s i just put new thermal paste on my gpu a week ago

im not sure what to run in the passmark. but when i play games my cpu are in the 50s and my gpu are in the 70s i just put new thermal paste on my gpu a week ago

Whole test of passmark. And after you removed thermalpaste and did put new it started to crash? Maybe too much paste?

Can it be a driver issue? You have OC'd that card?

bigb69

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

nope thats why i got the paste thought it would fix it.. but it still happens:(

Can you run 3D marks? Remove DVD cable first :D
Try this. remove dvd cableand play a game. If this works good.
If not maybe it is broken card. Hopeyou find good cheap card :)
7870 is good buy if find cheap used one :) (working one)

bigb69

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
i just cant understand why screen cuts off and pc locks up but i can hear sound for like 5 secs after.. thats even watching a video while temps on the gpu and cpu are low

but while gaming it does it 100% of the time. it can take up to 5 to 15 mins for it to happen./