Upgrade Geforce 250 Card

e_ascencio

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I have recently started playing the new final fantasy online game and have noticed that I have neglected my computer ever since I bought it about 4 years ago.
My specs are :

Intel Core Duo E8400 3.00GHz
XFX nForce 780i 3-way sli

I was wondering what would be the best method to get some extra fps out of the game..I'm a noob when it comes to computer stuff so my first reaction would be to upgrade the graphics card to maybe a GTX 570 or something similar? I don't need top of the line, I just need something that could hold me along with that game even if it is an old graphics card. Even if I buy a newer one I'm afraid that it wont matter because of my CPU
Or am I wrong and going about it the wrong way a CPU upgrade would be more beneficial?

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
You have a pretty good core duo processor but I would go with a cheaper video card like the gtx 650, I remember a video from a year ago where they tested the best possible video card for core duo series and back then I think it was the gtx 450ti or 550ti was the best bang for your money. But if you plan on upgrading your processor down the road get something like a gtx 760 or ever a radeon 7950 is crazy cheap atm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0quvkEOMIXM

Please watch this video for a better explanation,

e_ascencio

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Cool I think I will just go with a gtx 650. If I do get a new system up it will prob. be next year sometime thats if I am still playing final fantasy reborn. Like I sad in my original thread I hadn't really played any computer games for a while and don't feel like plopping big money right now not knowing if I will still even be playhing next year.
One last question it says gtx 650 is PCI Express 3.0 x16 my board is only PCI express 2.0 x16..will it still work?
I'm thinking of just changing the graphics card myself, the biggest thing I have done myself in terms of hardware in a computer is add more RAM, is changing/swapping a graphics card hard?

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Changing a video card is one of the simplest things you can do, just unplug the power pci-e power cable from your video card, unlatch the latch that holds it in place on your motherboard, then put your new one in, plug in the power cable and boot up your computer. You will be able to use a 3.0 pci-e video card in a 2.0 slot the only difference is a slight difference in bandwidth which is so small it could be a within a margin of error for a benchmark

e_ascencio

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Thanks for all the help guys. I managed to switch out video cards no problem.