Monitors going black but PC still on after a couple hours of gaming

milky6969

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Hey everyone,

So I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV recently and after about 3 hours of playing, both of my monitors will go black while the PC is still running. I have to hard reset and start up fine. I recently installed a second GPU so could I have possibly screwed something up in the process to lead to this? Or could I possibly have a bad GPU/PSU leading to overheating?

Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 mobo
GTX 670 2GB SLI
16gb RAM
Azza Dynamo 850W PSU
i7 3820 CPU
2TB HDD

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
If you think you are having problems with heat download msi afterburner and install, click run, settings, on screen display, more, then move the little 2nd bar to on, and run your game it will display the temps and load of your gpu. by default this will be displayed in the upper left hand corner of your screen. If you do see high temps then maybe you have something faulty. if all else fails go back to the basics of uninstalling your drivers and letting geforce experience install the drivers for you.

milky6969

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

Well I'm averaging around 70ºC on my first card and 68ºC on my second card in a populated area on max settings. Would this be considered overheating since the game has only been running a couple of minutes?

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Do you have any other games like crysis bf3? those I know fairly better than the game you described? That is fairly hot for starting up but still not hot enough to cause error's. Run your game for like 10mins and then look at your temps, or run a game that is really gpu intensive. Another solution but more timely test would be use only one card like the new one you just bought without sli and see if it happens. that would pinpoint it to your new card being faulty

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Yeah that's not all bad for sli, I would do what I stated above but first uninstall your drivers and only use your new card for a few hours and see if it happens again, so you can pin point if it's a faulty card