Trouble opening a port to the server

cmregan1

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hey guys, been at this one a little while and I'm still scratching my head. My client is setting up a portal for users to log in (via third party software vendor) and they're calling for two ports to be open. I messed with it a good bit yesterday, but the ports remain closed. I was wondering if the good folks at Tom's Hardware might be able to guide me to something I might not have thought of just yet.

Setup:
Cable modem (Charter Business)
Router (Cisco/Linksys E3200)
Server (Windows Server 2008 R2)

The server is the only server in the building (small business, <15 users) and the software that the portal will log into is housed on this server. The server does have Symantec Endpoint Protection Server on it, however does not have Windows Firewall enable or SEP Client installed (a fact I will be looking into immediately after this one is solved...always fun to inherit accounts and wonder what your predecessor was thinking, huh?).

I've logged into the router and set up port forwarding for both TCP and UDP (they didn't specify which protocol was to be used) for both of the ports to the server's IP. I've also set up exceptions in both Windows Firewall and SEP for those ports on both protocols (even though they're not actively monitoring this machine, just in case).

I ran "netstat -ano" and noticed one of the ports was used by SEP, which I was able to log in and change though SEP Manager. Both were also being used by the DNS service as listeners, but I created a registry key to reserve those ports. They aren't showing up at all anymore in my netstat reports.

I've called the ISP (Charter) and asked if the modem was blocking either of the ports that I needed open. They listed off all of the ports that were blocked, one of which being one of the desired ports. The tech insisted that forwarding it through the router would work, but I figured I'd get the one that wasn't blocked working before I called back to disagree.

Anyway, that's where I stand. I don't see anything else at the moment that should be blocking it, but they're both still showing closed. Can anyone think of anything I might have missed? Thanks!

sg4rb0

Honorable
Dec 4, 2012
This made me laugh. Ok, go to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ type in your ip address and find out what ports you have open. It's just a simple check from the internet and will give you half a clue. If it's blocked, then you need to start diagnosing from the router. Check the NAT address translation table and see if it is being translated. Below is an example on Cisco IOS

Router#show ip nat translations

Pro Inside global Inside local Outside local Outside global
udp 171.69.233.209:1220 192.168.1.95:1220 171.69.2.132:53 171.69.2.132:53

If your router doesnt show a nat table, then sometimes you can telnet to it & use ? to work out the command. Else you should install Wireshark and capture data coming into your NIC. Otherwise I'd turn off all security for testing purposes and just be sure nothing is blocking it so that I could isolate the problem to being NAT and port forwarding.