A few questions about "monitors vs tv" and headphone output

amarante

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Hi,

I'm planning on buying a Playstation 4 and I only have an old HDTV that can only do 720p but I do have an 23' LG IPS234 monitor that has an IPS panel and 5 ms response time. I'm quite happy with the monitor but I am thinking if I should buy a new TV if I am going to play on a console.

The questions I have are next:

1) Do 1080p HDTV's deal better with lower resolutions? I have tried playing at 1600x900 resolution on my 1920x1080 monitor and the picture quality becomes blurry (which is normal I guess). I know that all games won't be at native 1080p resolution on Playstation 4 so I am bit worried that the lower resolution will start to annoy me.

2) Can HDTV's smooth out lower framerates, is it possible that a game looks smoother on a TV compared to a monitor if they are both running at 30 FPS? Is it possible to use TrueMotion feature in games?

3) My monitor has a headphone out. If I connect my console to my monitor through an HDMI cable then I should be able to hear the audio if I plug my headphones into the monitor? If that's correct then can anyone advise on how good will the sound quality be?

Thanks in advance!

1 The Tv will show whatever the PS4 sends it and all res will be scaled by the PS4 so most likely will look good. Side note I bet every game is 1080p native for PS4 if not someone is behind the times.

2. I doubt the TV will help but I don't understand why you are worried as the PS4 will be sending smooth framerates to the TV there is no work for the TV to do but show it...

3 You would have to tell us what monitor you have what headphones you have ect. It would not be a digital signal so it would be good but not the best... It would be good enough assuming it works though.

Thent

amarante

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011

1) So you are saying that a 23 inch 1080p HDTV and a 23 inch 1080p monitor will show the same picture quality if the game runs at 1280x720?

2) Would the difference be very noticable if I played a game at 30 FPS on a monitor that can do 60Hz vs a TV that can do 200Hz?

Jonathan Sifleet

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

1) 1080p is HD, but if the image is 1280*720, it will stretch it to fit 1080p.

2) Not so much noticeable, just very, hmm, it's hard to explain without you being in front of me, it just feels different.