Why do gamers always want more and more fraps?

G

I don't get what's the need to run a game with more and more fps..
I mean, once you have a decent pc, a (gtx 670 with a 3570k for example) you could play any game very well and smooth..
But there are people who want sli, crossfire, quad titans sli...
Is that only a sick need to waste money?
Because most of that people wouldn't even notice if you tell them that inside of a pc is an i7 4960x with two 780s in sli running a game at 130 fps whereas the truth is that that pc has only an i5 2500k with a gtx 660 ti and the numbers at the top left corner are fake and it's a tricked fps software.

Some people want to play in 3D and need the higher framerate for that. Some people play on multiple monitors, which requires much more powerful hardware. Some people want very high framerates because they're particularly sensitive to it (and yes, it really is possible to tell the difference between 120 FPS and 60 FPS).

P1nnacle

Distinguished
Lots of people use SLI for things other than gaming, such as rendering or processing large amounts of data. If you have the ability to run your games at 100+ frames per second you may have a 120Hz monitor, where that is needed for VSYNC. That said, there are some people who just like having lots of power, just like people who customize cars to get tons of power and performance from them. It can just be a hobby.

nokiddingboss

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
the reasonable answer is because of multi monitor configs. you'll need all the extra juice you can muster to guarantee smooth performance. however the point of sli'ng two 780 for a single 1080p monitor becomes moot and unnecessary. frankly, its stupid if you ask me.

legacyBIOS

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
A lot of people run multiple monitor setups, and some people run higher hz monitors. I run a 144hz monitor, and if my PC can achieve that framerate in games, it looks buttery smooth and gives somewhat of an advantage. Imagine the PC needed to run BF4 at 144fps THEN imagine people wanting to run triple 144hz monitors. THAT is why people want insane systems.

Sure, if all you want to do is run your games at 60hz at decent settings, you don't need SLI or anything close to that.

I don't want more fraps.............. I do want more FPS. The more FPS your machines hardware can deliver ( regardless of refresh-rate ) the smoother the games will play at higher resolutions and at higher in game settings.

if the point you were trying to make was if your game plays smooth enough even though you don't have high end components, then why go through that expense?, then I agree and don't agree. you don't need exorbitant FPS to have a decent experience............... but what kind of experience do you want to have?

aatje92

Honorable

Never heard of vsync did you?

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Actually, having higher FPS than your refresh rate can cause screen tearing, which looks really bad. This is why most games have the option for VSYNC, which limits your GPU to the refresh rate of your monitor to provide a better experience.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

I guess i misread your intention, I thought you meant to imply that it's better to run at say 130 FPS than to enable VSYNC and run at 60 FPS.

MfastPrincess

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Gotta keep up with the proverbial jones'. Also, as soon as we build something, something BETTER hits the market. It's not a cheap 'sport'