hey guys i need a hand choosing a gfx card

Jamie Currie

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
hey guys im new here and well like i stated in the title im not sure which graphics card to get or even what my computer can run. at the moment i am running a geforce 210 and i know its sub standard just like the rest of my computer i am also on a bit of a tight budget any ideas would be great thank

mattenthehat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Can we have some more information about the rest of your system, what you plan to use the card for, and how tight your budget is, in order to recommend the best options to you?

Jamie Currie

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

eh sure
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name GT-PC
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP xw4600 Workstation
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.48 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.80 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.97 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.01 GB
Page File Space 3.48 GB

thats it pretty crap i know and my budget is like £50 and i plan to use it for playing games :D

mattenthehat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I can't think of really anything you can do with that setup for that price. At the very least you are going to need a graphics card, none of which fall in that price range, you could really use more RAM, although you may be able to get by with what you've got, and your CPU should really be updated (although again, you may be able to get by). You would probably also need a new power supply too because pre-built computers usually have crap PSUs. Save up some money and then come back. Good luck to you!

Jamie Currie

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

well i see you can get gtx 650 quite cheap second hand but i know for that i will need to upgrade my cpu and ram but i dont know what cpu i can get if it will fit or even run on my computer im not that great with computers you see can u give me some advice on whats my best bet to get cheap but decent or even just some advice on what i CAN use the only reason i got this pc was because it was cheap £50 with everything that is inside it already

Jamie Currie

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Power Supply 475 watt custom power supply
Operating Voltage Range 90 - 269 VAC
Rated Voltage Range 100 - 240 VA
thats the power supply will than need an upgrade also or will that be ok?

mattenthehat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

That power supply would probably be fine.
As for upgrading your CPU, there is not really anything you can do without also upgrading your motherboard. Modern CPUs use a different socket than yours, so you cannot install one on your motherboard. If you were going to do that then the AMD FX-4100 would be a good choice for you. It uses an AM3+ socket if you want to look for a motherboard for that.
As for upgrading RAM, you really just need more, not anything special or specific. I would recommend at least 6GB total.

That CPU isn't bad. It certainly isn't "great" but the core 2 series is still useful.

I use a Radeon 6670 with my Core 2 Duo and it usually doesn't bottleneck. (And even when it does it is still generally playable)

I am sure with a C2Q it would be even better.

Jamie Currie

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
what about this cpu in my current pc

Intel Core 2 Duo1
E86003
processor/ 3.33 GHz, 6 MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB
would that be fast enough

TheIronDUke

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Best suggestion, save your money for about a year and then get a good computer. Dont upgrade it component by component because as soon as you have revamped the entire machine it will be obsolete

Its "OK" but not great. I use a core 2 duo e6700 and it plays pretty much everything I want it to. Some do struggle though

TRENDING THREADS