Wondering about this watercooling setup

pvvt

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
First off I've never done a custom loop and just recently built my first computer. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the following watercooling parts and/or advice on what to select for my first system.

I work with 3DS Max and some renders take many hours. So I thought that a dual pump would be a good idea just in case one failed. That way the computer still won't overheat or shut down mid-render. I chose the thinnest radiator I could find because there's only 60mm of space between the top of the motherboard and the top of the case. The fans I chose because the other fans in the build also have red LEDs and these seemed to have fairly high static pressure. The existing fans have half the static pressure but almost twice the CFMs.

Pump: Swiftech MCP35X2
Rad: Koolance Dual 140mm
CPU block: XSPC RayStorm
Res: XSPC Photon 270
Fans: BitFenix Spectre 140mm
Fittings: XSPC Low Profile Compression
Fluid: XSPC EC6

Here's a list of most of the computer hardware.
CPU: i7-3820
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus GTX 770
Case: Lian Li PC-P80NB
PSU: Thermaltake 850W

I should also mention that there is room for a single 120mm rad as well, but it would also need to be thin as there is only 70mm between the back of the case and the memory heatsinks. The current CPU cooler is a Phanteks PH-TC14PE. It keeps the temps to 30-32C idle and 60-62C load at 4.3GHz and 1.264V, but it's so large that it blocks off the top PCIe slot and scrapes the tops of the memory heatsinks.

That's just about everything I could think of to mention. Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading!

P1nnacle

Distinguished
It looks like a great setup, and while I like your idea of pump redundancy I'd just like to point out that if the first pump fails, how will you know? That puts you back in the same position as just buying one pump. A better option may be a temperature monitor with an audible alarm. If your pump fails, it will take a couple minutes for your computer to overheat to the point that it shuts down, and plenty of time to save your work. Just something to consider that would save you money. As for the additional 120mm radiator, you really don't need it. My SLI system stays perfectly cool with a low profile 240 MM radiator. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

pvvt

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
The dual pumps have PWM so you can monitor them. I would just need to check once in a while I guess. I might be able to set up warnings too. AI Suite II sent me a warning when a BIOS update turned off the PCH fan.

Do you think 2.14 mmH2O fans is high enough for a 30 mm thick, 30 fpi 280 radiator? The fans would be in pull, not push.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

You could use AI suite to monitor the "fan speed" of the pumps, then if one failed you could see.

2.14 should be plenty fine for your setup, I use a 240mm radiator with 3.1 fans (but they only come in 120mm).

pvvt

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I purchased the components I listed above and everything seems to be working right but the CPU runs 59-61 C at 100% load with random spikes as high as 64 C. The old air cooler kept it pretty constant at 60-62 C. Should I have gotten higher pressure fans or is there a different issue?

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I would like to see a pic of this build please. that way i can better find the issue with this loop, it should never get above 55C with the hardware listed there is somthing verry wrong here.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Did you already check your CPU heatsink and make sure it is fully mounted?

pvvt

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I actually remounted the block twice. Each time the block was making full contact and the resulting temps were the same. Below is a picture of the computer. The loop goes pump > block > rad > res. The only things I can think of are that the res blocks off a good portion of the air flow from the front of the case and the rad is 30 fpi with only 2.14 mmH2O fans in pull. I can't fit push, pull fans so my only other option would be to send these fans back and replace them with something like BGears B-Blasters.
12hk.jpg

pvvt

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Nothing is kinking. There is one turn that narrow the tube ever so slightly, but nothing that should be significant.

pvvt

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I tipped the case and shook it a little but didn't see any bubbles come out. As you can see in the picture above, the reservoir isn't completely filled, so I can't just flip it upside down entirely. I'll have to order some more of the coolant and then try.

TRENDING THREADS