Windows installation/ what have I done

Soccerguy1832

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I was installing windows 7 off a boot cd on a windows 8 Toshiba Satellite L55-A5226 laptop, and when it asked which partition to choose I tried to do the system ones, but they were OEM and the others werent formatted right or something. Then I tried to click Format partition ans that just wiped everything on the partition. Then I went crazy and deleted 2 OEM partitions... Now windows 8 is gone and windows 7 cant install because the partitions are GPT… oh god help

RealBeast

Titan
You have a real problem, next time I suggest that you find out how to do things before just doing it.

First you need to reinstall Windows 8, but it sounds like you deleted your recovery partition. Do you have a full Windows 8 install disk or just recovery disks? Since it is probably not a full install disk, you will either have to contact Toshiba for help, buy a Windows 8 install disk, or forget about Windows 8 and just install Windows 7.

You can install Windows 7 to a GPT disk and HERE is a detailed guide. The other choice would be to use diskpart to clean the drive and turn it into a MBR disk and then install. In either case, insure that Windows 7 drivers are available from Toshiba for that model first.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you have the COA sticker on your laptop along with the product code, either Toshiba should be able to help or even Microsoft. But with MS, they will charge you for a service call. They'll probably have you download an .ISO image you can use to burn a new Windows DVD.
Then when you have it back to normal, make a disk image backup to a portable USB drive or lots of CDs/DVDs with either Windows or a 3rd party program. (does Win8 even still have disk imaging?)

RealBeast

Titan
AFAIK, Windows 8 disk images are not available (other than to MSDN subscribers), unlike Windows 7 unfortunately, since the consumer preview unless you actually buy it.

Toshiba should be able to help, but their support is fairly poor IMO and they will almost certainly charge for an install disk if they will even make one available.

You can install Windows 8 from a USB stick, but there is no Microsoft tool as with Windows 7. They've really taken some steps back on making Windows 8 a user friendly system in the support area.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If all else fails, I think you can still download an .ISO image of the Windows 7 installation DVD here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

But I don't know if your Toshiba came with a common product key for Win7/Win8 like my Thinkpad did.

Soccerguy1832

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I figured it out last night. What I did was at the partition selection screen i pressed Shift+f10 and that brought up a command prompt. Then i used DISKPART to convert the drive from GPT to MBR and i could install just fine!

Soccerguy1832

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

You did outline what i just did, but i figured it out before i got any responses. Thanks anyway