Help me choose which router is right for me

kkkam

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
hi
i m thinking to upgrade my very old router Linksys WRT54G ,because i have a gift card from this website .so they only carry these routers.i live in two bedroom apartments and i will connect 1 desktop n 1 laptop n 1 phone .so please help me to get the right one.THANKS
NETGEAR WNDR3700 $99 WNDR4300 $100 R6300 $160

It depends how much the extra cost matters based on what you can use today compared to what you might use later.

First for internet surfing they all will perform exactly the same. The speed means nothing since even the slowest wireless will be many times faster than your ISP connection.

Without digging though all these part number things like netgear N750 means it will run 450 on say 2.4g and 300 on 5g. First your nic cards much also run on 2.4 and 5 or the second number means nothing. Then the base speeds for 802.11n are 150,300,450 which directly corresponds to the number of antenna it will use. If the nic only has 1 (the can be internal) you are limited to 150. If it has 2 then you are limited to 300 and for the very rare pc nic that has 3 you can do 450. So if you have older nics that can only run at 150 on a single band you have to decide if paying extra for feature on the router is worth it.

But remember even if you were to have 450m nic that would only be useful if you were transferring data between machines in your house.

kkkam

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

thank you for information, if i just watching movies online so which NETGEAR WNDR3700(n600) or WNDR4300(n750) or R6300(ac1750) better for me?

If you just need to watch online movies then the cheapest one is your best bet. As long as you stay with the better name devices like netgear in this example you will get support for any bugs.

If your current router works well to stream movies then a new one will work about the same. If it does not work well you must determine why just changing the router will likely not fix it. Many people have done this and what really happens is the new router just picked a different channel to run on which was their issue from the start but they think it was because the new router was better in some way.

kkkam

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

THANK YOU SO MUCH