Gigabyte HD7970 Triple Monitors, connection through mini DVI

denno020

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2013
I have a Gigabyte HD7970 graphics card, which can run up to 4 monitors. It has 1xHDMI, 1xDVI and 2xMiniDVI connections. I'm using the HDMI, DVI and one of the mini DVI connections for my three monitor set up.
I obviously had to get an adapter to connect one monitor to the mini DVI port, so I got an "active" adapter, as this is what I was told I would need. The problem I have though, is that the monitor will turn off from time to time and go into power saving mode. I assume this is because it's not getting a signal from the computer or something, but I'm not sure. When it happens, I wiggle the connection in the back of the computer, making sure it's plugged in right, but that never really seems to help.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be going on?

I have a 750W power supply so I don't think the graphics card is drawing too much power..

Thanks,
Denno

Solution
The only things I can think to try are using a different cable (in case the one you have is starting to die) and try another monitor (in case there is something wrong with yours). You could also try using the other mini display port on your GPU in case there is something wrong with that specific port (not sure if it applies to display port, but sometimes DVI is finicky about which port you use if you are using only one of two). good luck!

mattenthehat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I believe you mean mini display port? I have never heard of a mini dvi port. As for what is going on... could you give us some more information? Have you ever found a way to get the monitor to come back on? Does restarting the computer bring the monitor back on? Or does it just come back on by itself after a while?

denno020

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2013
Apologies, mini display port is what I meant.

The only thing I've really tried is wiggling the chord at the back, as I mentioned.. The monitor will generally come back on in its own time. I haven't found anything that causes it to turn off, nor that makes it turn back on.

mattenthehat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
The only things I can think to try are using a different cable (in case the one you have is starting to die) and try another monitor (in case there is something wrong with yours). You could also try using the other mini display port on your GPU in case there is something wrong with that specific port (not sure if it applies to display port, but sometimes DVI is finicky about which port you use if you are using only one of two). good luck!

Solution