i7 Extreme 4820K & MSI X79A-GD65 (8D)

Uther39

Distinguished
Hello gents just a quick question regarding the above hardware..

I currently have in my main rig an Asus Formula Z and AMD FX8350 OCd to 5.0ghz using a custom Water cooling loop. I have however an opportunity to purchase new the above X79 hardware at an extremely reasonable price (cheaper than a 4770k and Z87 mobo). My questions are the following..

1. Is the 4820k a decent CPU for Heavy gaming, photoshop and video editing ?
2. Will i see any kind of a performance boost over my current set up ?
3. Is the above mentioned combination a good match, for overclocking ?
4. If i combine the above X79 hardware with my GTX780, will my XFX PRO 1000w PSU surfice, even with overclocking?

In case needed i intend to use my existing G Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB DDR3 PC17000 2133MHz.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00687MGVK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

I thank you in advance for your Time and Knowledge.

iblowuup

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
I can only fully answer your 2nd and 4th question and the answer to both is a simple yes. The 4820k will be better than the 8350 especially in applications that aren't multi threaded (most applications).

Also a 1000w PSU is more than enough for any setup unless you are doing a multi GPU setup with SLI or Crossfire. Overclocking doesn't add much more power draw and it should be fairly easy to do with this CPU because it is a K-series.

I am not incredibly familiar with some of the high end Intel CPUs but to answer your first question I would say this CPU is one of the best you can get especially if you can overclock because of its excellent architecture, 4 cores and hyper threading, and high stock clock rates.

TRENDING THREADS