looking for a high/mid end monitor

chetgogo

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
Im in the process of building my computer and I need to get a monitor. 120hz or higher would be the best. Cheers

CraigN

Distinguished
Depends on what you want to get. I would recommend the ASUS VG248QE based on my own experience. BenQ has a similar one with 144 Hz but it's more expensive. There's a couple Samsung and Acer offerings in the 120Hz range as well.

angelwuss

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Is there a large difference in 144hz vs 120hz? Are there any good gaming monitors at 27" that run at 144hz? My general impression is that it wouldn't be worth it to get 144hz in a 27" monitor because your system probably can't maximize its potential (thinking of BF4 as my benchmark).

CraigN

Distinguished
Between 120 and 144, no, you won't notice a huge difference, but there is some, and I definitely really enjoy mine. But so long as you're hitting the +100 fps range, you'll notice a *huge* difference over 60 fps and 60 Hz at either 120Hz or 144 Hz.

Your last statement isn't entirely true - the monitor size really doesn't matter as most of the mid range monitors at 120-144 Hz are only 1080p. The refresh rate has no "demand" on your video card performance, the only "demand" is how well the game runs on your machine and if you can hit the high framerates. You maximize the monitor's potential with regards to 120/144 Hz refresh rate as long as you're getting high frames.

ASUS and BenQ both have 27" offerings at 144 Hz. VG278HE for ASUS, and the BenQ XL2720T are both great high Hz monitors, but they're a bit higher in the price range because of their nVidia 3D Vision compatibility.

ShindoSensei

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
+1 for BenQ. I personally have a XL2420TE; PM me man. I can answer all you're questions about it. If not we can Facebook or Skype. I'm not letting anyone not enjoy this godly monitor (in comparison to my old dell monitor. Despicable.)

CraigN

Distinguished
Same goes for me if you're interested in the ASUS. I love my VG248QE. The 27 inch offerings from both ASUS and BenQ are *very* similar to their 24" counterparts, and are both *excellent* monitors you can't go wrong with.