Gods,Gladiators, and Gridiron

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/07/paying-college-athletes_n_2424429.html

The issues has come up eer sonce the OSU scandals arose this summer. Time magaizine suggested we shsould start paying college athletes for their services.

Meanwile, junior who is a math wizard will be paying full ride because he is not athletic.
Should we also pay performing arts people who act for school plays? What about undergrad researchers? Should this extend to high school?

riser

Illustrious
I think they should receive a stipend. Since they can't work and their schedule is demanding, providing some sort of income should help some issues.

In OSU's case, it was stupid. A nearly illiterate QB sells his signature for ink. That to me is kind of stupid - it's the business losing money. It wasn't the other way around.

Not all College athletes go pro, many walk away from football altogether and that's why we shouldn't pay them anything more than a standard college level stipend.

Then again, schools need to do a reasonable job in recruiting. Instead of recruiting people who have no chance at getting a job or working after football, they need to bring students in who can be aided by a degree.

Oregon Ducks for example, listening to the talk about them on Saturday, explained that everyone on the team are smart, no one has failed any classes or were not eligible. Due to their game style, you have to be somewhat intelligent to play their.

Now if you look at the Florida Gators, some Alabama players, or a lot of SEC teams, outside the SEC like USC, they're dumber than a box of rocks. But they win games. These guys, if they don't go pro, they're not going anywhere. That's not to say Tressel at OSU didn't try to fix the program. He brought in Marcus Clarrett. Now, a few of the players on the team grew up with him and he wanted to give him a the chance. He screwed it up, OSU won a championship with him, and he's since spent a few years in jail and was cut from the Broncos.

In the end, we can't allow teams to recruit college level players who have no reason to be in college in the first place. This will resolve a lot of the issues at that level, but in the end fame will get to everyone.

In response to riser:

The NCAA tried to pass a scholarship sytem, a blind trust, where not only will the school get the money to put them in class, but pay for COLA ( Cost of living accounts). The average players needs 2-4 grand to cover theses expenses including current scholarship levels. It did not pass.

Another thing. Listen to many of the NFL pros: Doesn't matter who they are. All of them, IMHO, are functionally illiterate. They sound like they just got out of shock form being in a car crash.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Im not too well versed in college football, I went to a college in a town that had no traffic lights....

Give them a full ride to college and pay them something along the lines of a salary like they have a part time job (Or full time, again unsure of how many hours they spend footballing). Teachers and schools cooking the books is another issue.

Or how about the NFL cant draft college players until they graduate? If they drop out or fail out they have an x year moratorium for playing at a certain level.

Colleges and the NCAA need to stop making money off of students. i like the NFL idea, not so much the payment idea. Colleges ge the most money form sports; yet, sports are the major part ( if not the most) of the required spending. Many as half of all collegiate sports is in the red even after funds.

Now, where is the money needed for research?

I doubt we have enough to pay for them to play. This is not a job, it is an amateur activity. The NCAA should allow theses guys to go to class, get a job, and do want they need. Let the NFL build them up to be lean-mean fighting machines. Not colleges. College is a place of learning, not a business.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
I am totally unsure of what Im talking about but how does a university treat students that invents something in one of their labs? I know Florida State took a percentage of Gatorade, that they might still own to this day(?).

riser

Illustrious
In other news, did anyone see the recent lawsuit against The University of Tennessee by a former football player? He's citing that the school did not properly inform him of the dangers of playing contact football and the possibility of head injuries.

It is currently in legal proceedings to determine if it will go to court.

YOU'RE A F'ING COLLEGE BALL PLAYER, NOT A 6TH GRADER.