Light Editing/ Gaming PC Build 2013, Any good?

MattDoesGames

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
I have come up with a build, for about two weeks now. Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/IAmMatt907/saved/2m3j The reason I chose the CPU is because since its a 8-core CPU I am going to be doing Games, Multitasking, Video Editing/Rendering, and some homework. I think the GPU is good for next gen games such as BF4 and COD: Ghosts. The only thing I am kind of worried about is the PSU, even though it is a 500W and 80 Plus Bronze Certified, should I maybe switch to a XFX 550W? I like the Raidmax 500W because of its price, but, I don't know, this is my first computer build, and I don't want to goof it up somehow.

Games I want to play on this system:
BF4
Watch Dogs
GTA 5
Far Cry 3
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Arma II Mod DayZ
DayZ Standalone
Arma III
Left 4 Dead 2
Minecraft
WoW
LoL
Fallout Series
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Elder Scrolls Online
Guild Wars 2

Should I go with Windows 7 or stick with Windows 8? I am more familiar with Windows 7 but I have heard some fantastic things about Windows 8. I have used Windows 8 in the past and I enjoyed it, but I want to get an opinion from someone who isn't a noob at computers like myself.

The Monitor I am playing on is a 720p monitor, so keep that in mind when deciding if the build can handle the games.

Thanks for the help in advance you are helping me with a school project that I know I can get a A on if I keep trying, thanks! -Matt

g-unit1111

Titan
I would scrap that whole build. That PSU is complete trash (one of the worst on the market, actually), the Intel Haswell CPUs will be better for gaming than AMD FX, and the GTX 760 performs somewhat better than the Radeon 7950 does. Here is what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($70.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $799.16
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-14 21:51 EDT-0400)

ssimpss

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Eh what g-unit111 said if thats in your budget I don't think I could do any better. Though you might save a bit on the GPU at 720p you don't need much a 6** 2Gb card would be enough. Though I would use a Seagate HDD rather than the WD Blue or if you can get a WD caviar black.

g-unit1111

Titan

Well on a gaming rig I always say to get the best GPU you can get for the budget. Everything else comes second. As far as the hard drives go, I usually get the cheapest mechanical drive that's currently available, and then you can add or remove drives as you go along.

MattDoesGames

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
That build that you suggested g-unit1111 doesnt have a OS included, that was the big deal with the budget I chose. Plus for my rig that I came up with, I am using a 8-core CPU because I intend on doing a large amount of multitasking. Should I go with my build, or yours? Thanks! -Matt

ssimpss

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

The 8 core drive is a massive con only 5 or so games effectively use more than 4 cores and my mates 2700K over clocked to 4GHz can beat any 8*** amd CPU out there and the CPU chosen by g-unit is just almost as the 2700K the only reason the 2700K is possibly better is the fact that it is unlocked. So your budget is 700 to 800 with the OS included not 700 to 800 then the OS?

ssimpss

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Eh ok but this system is going to suck, but I think you get a voucher with the part and you send it back to the company and they refund you the voucher value. I live in the UK we don't normally get that sort of thing these days.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
You should go with this build. Yes it uses rebates. It's really easy to use them, what you do is just send the card which is enclosed in the product box into an envelope and send it to wherever it specifies to. Later on you will get a prepaid visa card with the amount of rebate put on it. Here it is:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Predator Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($58.61 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $778.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-14 23:16 EDT-0400)

ssimpss

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

RazerZ man is that your stock build for under 1000 bucks do not make me come and beat you AMD FX-8350 to death with my intel is better stick again.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

-_- I have nothing against intel, yes I know it is better for gaming but he also wants to video edit and AMD shines in that aspect.

ssimpss

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Mutter curse mutter OK a 4 core intel is no good for video editing and there is no funds for a 6 core SB-E so kudos to you man. Matt take this build if the video editing is going to be a big thing then as you need 6 cores min as its requires grunt more than speed. If its just a once a month thing then over all I personally would still go with the intel build for 830 before rebate.

g-unit1111

Titan

I have never seen any benchmark that says an 8 core AMD is better for video editing than a 4 core Intel is. The Intel CPUs have stronger cores than AMD CPUs do.

Well that's a bit better than the initial build but I would get a stronger power supply and the GPU is a bit weaker than the one I included. I didn't realize an OS was needed.

MattDoesGames

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013

Love the build, I will go for it. Now about shipping. Anyone know how much shipping would be to Anchorage, Alaska, United States, North America? I am kind of scared of the shipping costs...

ssimpss

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

You can only ask. You had be be in anchorage though dident you. I really don't know man I guess technically it is main land USA but I don't know how they will see it. At least you not half way up the dalton ice road right.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador

Anchorage you say, been there last summer and it was amazing :D But I think you might need to pay extra for shipping since usually Hawaii and Alaska are like that... If you have family in the U.S maybe send it with them or something. But yea I have a feeling those shipping costs are going to be pretty high, or maybe they might not even ship there.