Asus Announces NFC-enabled M70 Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Nice. All PCs should incorporate this. I guess it makes sense for a Taiwan company to be the first since NFC is actually useful over there in daily lives.

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
They really should at least go up to a 650ti boost or 760 on stuff like that for lets say getting a teen or kd who does not know about building and does not need a gaming rig a pc that is also capable of gaming...Ok I am a adult and I just want the case the silver strikes my pretty pretty shiny shiny button.

InvalidError

Titan
You won't be doing remotely significant backups over NFC since the transfer speed on it is only ~400kbps. Bluetooth isn't a whole lot better at ~2Mbps unless you go with 3+HS which actually runs over WiFi. So, for remotely large backups, you will likely want to use something that goes over WiFi or USB2/3.

NFC is mainly intended for tag info and automating setting up alternate communication channels (usually Bluetooth or P2P WiFi) for bigger file transfers.

So NFC on the desktop does not seem to be particularly useful on the desktop IMO - even less so if your contacts, calendar and other stuff are already sync'd over the cloud or other automated process.

beta212

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
It would be great if they could open up more, how different is this from say-plugging in an adapter then writing a driver?

InvalidError

Titan

Apparently - the "inconvenience" of plugging in to charge is why we are starting to see wireless charging integrated in nearly all new tablets and phones.

The White Knight

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I'm on the phone with Asus right now and they have 0 information on this case despite it being announced almost 2 months ago and having a full fledged product page on their site. I was looking at this for weeks and about to do my build before realizing it's not even out yet and no one has it or has any information whatsoever about it.

I like Asus products but it really sickens me how little communication there is between the consumer and company. Quit taunting us with mystery and bs, tell us what you have coming and when we can get it. What good is an announcement without a release date? I could care less about a company's next gimmick loaded with planned obsolescence. It's all unnecessary marketing but my frustration mainly stems from the fact I have to now choose an entirely different case after settling on this one.

Lame.

-1 Asus

Status
Not open for further replies.