Avermedia C875 (live portable gamer) set up

KrazyKiwi

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hey guys just a quick question

Can I record my pc gameplay on the same monitor that I use for gaming? Or do I need two monitors ?

Is there some kind of lag if you play on the monitor that's recording ?

Sorry if that wording is confusing

Solution
You only need one monitor.
However, for pc recording, you almost always need two hard drives.
1 for reading the game you are playing, the other one to write the recording to.
Otherwise the hard drive cant read the game AND record the game to the same hard drive quick enough, it results in lag and after a while drops to 0fps and freezes until you close the game down, usually with the task manager :p
This is what happened to me anyway. After I set the record location to my other hard drive however, everything was fine.

Also, having a separate partition to your hdd doesnt work. The HDD need to be able to physically spin/move fast enough to record and write at the same time.

LevelXAbstract

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
You only need one monitor.
However, for pc recording, you almost always need two hard drives.
1 for reading the game you are playing, the other one to write the recording to.
Otherwise the hard drive cant read the game AND record the game to the same hard drive quick enough, it results in lag and after a while drops to 0fps and freezes until you close the game down, usually with the task manager :p
This is what happened to me anyway. After I set the record location to my other hard drive however, everything was fine.

Also, having a separate partition to your hdd doesnt work. The HDD need to be able to physically spin/move fast enough to record and write at the same time.

Solution

KrazyKiwi

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

So would a 7200rpm hdd be ok? a separate one I mean. Thanks though man, was fretting a bit because I'd already ordered the C875

LevelXAbstract

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

My apologies,
I do know for PC recording though you definitely need 2 hard drives, and yes 7200rpm would be fast enough.
I don't have much experience with capture cards, however I have a feeling you still need two HDDs for recording your pc? Dont quote me on that though and don't go buy a HDD without someone actually confirming this...

Sorry I'm not more help (I really need to read posts properly before posting myself)

KrazyKiwi

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Ok sweet.

Getting a new hard drive is pretty easy for me. So 1 monitor is fine right?

so it would look like this

PC to HDMI cable to C875 to HDMI cable to screen/monitor

that right?

LevelXAbstract

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Yes, 1 monitor should be fine no matter what.
Your setup looks good, I'm 99.999999% sure thats perfect but I would also get someone who uses capture cards often to check it as well...
Anyway, I record using Dxtory straight to another Harddrive and then edit it with whatever I feel like at the time..
Depending on the specs of your computer this may be a better option?
What are your specs?

Something else completely irrelevant.. "KrazyKiwi" I presume you are a New Zealander?? Me too :)

LevelXAbstract

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Ok, I have just reassessed the situation.
If you are playing on a pc you will need 2 Harddrives.
If you are playing on a console you will only need one.

If you are playing on a console you will need a monitor and a tv etc (one to play, the other to control the software on your pc, you could only use one but it would be complicated)
If you are playing on a pc you would only need one monitor (playing/recording in background).

I believe thats it

KrazyKiwi

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

You are super awesome bro. And yea I'm a New Zealander (jafa to be precise) :) chur mate

LevelXAbstract

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Dude, thats a beefy PC rig :)
If you were looking for the best option (or what I consider the best option), I would get Dxtory (or fraps if you prefer, I personally like Dxtory best) another HDD and record like that. Best quality and your rig would handle it really nicely :)
Either way, your choice