Windows fails to load after installing new ram

solecism

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Hello, Ive spent a while searching via google and cant find an answer, so thought id try here.

I have a dell studio 1749, with windows 7 64 bit OS. It came with 4GB (2x2GB) of DDR3-1333mhz ram installed. The Mobo supports up to 8GB, so I decided to upgrade and bought 8GB (2x4GB of corsair DDR3-13333mhz, model cmso8gx3m2a1333c9).

After installing the new RAM however, windows will fail to load. As soon as the little colors start to swirl it flashes a BSOD for like 1/10th of a second then reboots itself and then loads to a "windows failed to start, a recent hardware or software change yada yada yada" screen, with 2 options, repair or start normally. repair goes to a "loading windows files" screen, then goes to a black screen and hangs there indefinitely, and if I select "start windows normally" it just repeats the whole cycle (BSOD for a microsecond at windows loading, then reboots).

Thought maybe I got a freak bad stick, so returned it to the store, new set does same thing tho.

The dell BIOS is pretty basic, you cant really change anything, but when I go into setup it shows the increase in ram under the specs.

I am 100% positive that the computer is supposed to support up to 8GB, im also really sure that I bought the right kind of ram (both via CPU-z on the old RAM, and on reading the sepcs on the dell page for what kind of ram to upgrade the studio 1749 with).

Any suggestions on what the problem might be, and how I might be able to fix it? Any help would be incredibly appreciated. thank you very much

--Daniel

edit: Just to clarify, there is only 2 slots for RAM, so I am removing the old 2GB sticks and putting in the new 4GB sticks, im not mixing them or trying to use both at the same time.

update:

So I returned the RAM and got 2 new sticks from a completely different company, and had the exact same issue. I found 1 thread via google where someone had a similiar issue, and he was told by crucial that his BIOS didnt support high density RAM and so they shipped him some low density sticks and it worked fine.

Now I cant find anywhere on any of the specs for the available RAM what the density is. I see some of them have twice the amount of little black boxes on them (not sure what those are called), for instance the RAM in my laptop now has 8 per side per stick, and the ones ive been trying have 4 per side per stick. Could that be the issue? Problem is I cant tell before I buy them how many they have, because none of the manufacturers list density, and I dunno if they even make "low density". I have the newest BIOS update for my laptop, so I cant just update it so what I have works. and I dont even know if thats actually whats going on here, just the only thing ive seen thats similar that it could be, because im positive my laptop supports 8GB, and Im positive im buying the right kind and installing it correctly. So frustrating.

techsamurai

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

Hello,

Your system does support a maximum memory capacity of 8 GB using two 4 GB modules. For compatible memory upgrades, click this link. http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellStudio171749DDR31333MHz.html

This website only sells low density modules.

Good luck!