Suggestions on this build plz! My first.

droidtn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
CASE: NZXT H630 Ultra Tower

MOBO/CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Processor and ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF

VIDEO: XFX Radeon HD 7970 FX797ATDFC Video Card - 3GB, DDR5

PSU: Ultra X4 Modular 850-Watt ATX Power Supply V2 - 850W

RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9 16GB Desktop Memory Kit - DDR3, (4x4GB), PC3-15000, 1866MHz

SSD: Crucial CT128M4SSD2 m4 2.5" Solid State Drive - 128GB

HD: WD 1TB Black

This is my first build. Do you guys see anything that I have left out or not thought about. The last thing I want is parts that don't play well together. Thanks!!!

i would suggest creating the build on pcpartspicker and posting the full build using that. its much easier for us to work through.

also list the purpose of the build (gaming?), your budget, and if its for gaming what games at what resolution at what settings and if its for another purpose what programs and what tasks.

some general comments...

i would go with a more open airflow case.

go with the 7970 ghz edition over the normal 7970

go with better brand psu (xfx, seasonic, corair hx series, pcp&c)

be aware that memory is high profile meaning some cpu coolers may not fit over it. normally i suggest low profile ram. 16gb much more than you need (i'd say 8 is sufficient) but your choice.

i would go with a samsung 840, 840pro or 840evo over that ssd. much more reliable.

other than that... you need to provide more info on what you wanted to accomplish with the build

Sethcon

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
As long as you do nto plan on keeping your build for a very long time or expanding it later, your PSU wattage seems oversized. Try downgrading it to 600W, which should save you some money.

droidtn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ErpZ

There is the permalink from pcpartpicker. Really cool site. Never knew about it.

I changed a couple things. I just picked an Antec case that looked like it was more airflow. Also I'm not sure how to pick low profile ram, any suggestions? I noticed one compatibility issue about updating the BIOS, but I don't think that will be a problem. It is within my price range of about $1800 before tax.

It has two purposes, gaming and video/photo editing. I already have a dual monitor setup.

Sethcon

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
On picking RAM, just take one of the big ones. It's pretty much all the same. I chose Corsair Vengeance (low profile), rather cheap and supposedly high quality.

i'd go with a z87 over x79.

x79 is bennefical since it supports cpus with more than 4 cores (except you have 4 cores so it doesnt matter). it is also better for more than 2 video cards (but you have one and at most i think you will sli only making it not an issue).

z87 is cheaper and in some ways better. by saving the money you could bump up to a better gpu.