• old Q6600
  • 67 %
  • i5
  • 0 %
  • i7
  • 34 %
September 16, 2013 2:19:27 PM

hello,

I'm wondering what would be faster in day to day tasks (web, mail, some light renders (VUE), office etc.)
right now i have Q6600 OC'ed to 3Ghz. Will i5 2.6Ghz would be faster. I'm talking about ivy Bridge or i7 2.16Ghz Sandy.

I dunno if i should stick to my current rig, or maybe sell my PC and go for some second hand, buisness class HP Laptop and wait for new consoles.

More about : desktop q6600 mobile

a c 479 à CPUs
September 16, 2013 6:57:14 PM

For basic tasks like surfing, email, office you will not be able to tell the difference. VUE you likely will since rendering is CPU intensive.

One thing you need to know is that all mobile i5 CPUs are dual core CPUs with hyper threading. Most mobile Core i7 CPUs are also dual core. These dual core CPUs have a "M" designation. For example my Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 has a dual core i5-2410m. Quad core versions of the mobile Core i7 CPUs have the "QM" designation. For mobile Haswell generation quad core i7 CPUs the designations are "MQ", "HQ" and "MX" in increasing performance and cost order.

On average the increase in performance per CPU core assuming the same clockspeed is as follows (roughly):

1st gen --->> 2nd gen Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad = 8%
2nd gen Core 2 Duo / Core 2 Quad --->> 1st gen Core i3/i5/i7 (Bloomfield / Lynnfield) = 10%
1st gen Core i3/i5/i7 --->> 2nd gen Core i3/i5/i7 (Sandy Bridge) = 12%
2nd gen Core i3/i5/i7 --->> 3rd gen Core i3/i5/i7 (Ivy Bridge) = 6%
3rd gen Core i3/i5/i7 --->> 4th gen Core i3/i5/i7 (Haswell) = 6%

This means that a Sandy Bridge CPU core is about 33% faster than a Q6600 assuming the same clockspeed.
(1.0 * 1.08 * 1.1 * 1.12) - 1 = 1.33 - 1 = 0.33 = 33%; the "1.0" represents the Q6600 as the baseline.

Another way of looking at it is that if a Sandy Bridge CPU core were to be just as powerful as a 1st gen C2Q CPU core @ 3.0GHz, the Sandy Bridge core will only need to be clocked at about 2.25GHz.
3.0GHz / 1.33 = 2.25GHz

Using the above math, Ivy Bridge is about 41% more powerful than the 1st gen C2Q CPU core and only needs to at about 2.13GHz to equal 1st gen C2Q CPU core @ 3.0GHz. Haswell would be about 49.5% more powerful at the same clockspeed and would only need to be clocked at 2.0GHz to match

The trick is comparing CPUs with different number of cores. Assuming you are comparing a dual core Ivy Bridge CPU to the quad core Q6600 CPU both at the same clockspeed. If the program or game use only takes advantage of one or two cores, then the answer is simple, the Ivy Bridge CPU. However, assuming VUE can take advantage of 4 cores. Which CPU will give you better performance? Ivy Bridge or the Q6600? The answer is more or less you need to look at benchmarks to figure that one out.

Crysis 3 basically requires a quad core CPU. Benchmarks have shown that there is about a 40% - 45% performance penalty between a PC with a desktop dual core i3 CPU and a desktop quad core i5 CPU both with the about the same clockspeed. I think the models tested had a 100MHz difference. So how does the Q6600 compare to a dual core mobile Ivy Bridge CPU with the same clockspeed? I just mentioned that there is a 40% drop in performance going from quad core to dual core. However, each core in the Ivy Bridge CPU is about 40% more powerful than the cores in the C2Q CPU. So which CPU will perform better in Crysis 3 (assuming the same exact graphics card)? Benchmarks.....
September 17, 2013 3:34:56 AM

thank you.
Isn't that, that mobile CPU are somewhat less powerfull to save energy? I cannot find IPC of desktop and mobile Core I5/7
it's like 25W (Mobile Core) vs 77W (Deskotp Core)
Related resources
a c 479 à CPUs
September 17, 2013 6:38:42 AM

Intel may have lowered or loosened some of the timings / prioritization of certain functions in the mobile CPU to reduce power consumption. But that's an assumption.

The only way to know is to run benchmarks and also take into consideration the motherboards specs / design as well.
September 17, 2013 9:37:41 AM

ehh ok. Thanks.

Desktop vs desktop it's simple - core all the way...
September 19, 2013 6:14:29 AM

i've decided to upgrade my PC. I've gone for i5 4670k +mobo and ram.
jaguarskx, thank you for your support :) 
!