Monitor CPU problem

SlideSurveyor

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
So, yesterday I replaced my old athlon x2 64 with a faster phenom x4 965. I removed the old thermal paste using some rubbing alcohol, 91%. I got it out with no bent pins, and put in my new phenom. I reapplied the thermal paste using the dot method to let the heat sink do the spreading. I put the heat sink back on and secured it with the latches. I went to go plug my computer back in. i got everything plugged in, and started it. It seemed to startup fine, all the lights and fans were on, but my monitor wasn't detecting any VGA input. I know it wasn't my VGA because i tried two different ones. This may also be a PSU issue. My specs are: 9500gt GPU, phenom x4 965, 8gb ddr2 ram, and an ATX 20/24, which i think has 480 watts, not sure. this only started happening after i put in my new CPU.

CrazymanWO

Honorable
May 21, 2013
What mobo are you using? If my information is correct you are going from a 45 Watt TDP CPU to a 125 watt TDP CPU. Alot of old mobos max out at certain TDP. What is the model of your mobo.

SlideSurveyor

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

i'll check when i get home. thanks for replying.

SlideSurveyor

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

i've got an old fashioned M3A76-CM DDR2 motherboard. rockin' the future.

CrazymanWO

Honorable
May 21, 2013

It should be fine then with that cpu. Hmmm did u try resetting the gpu card in the mobo. This might be burdensome but if u tried everything and it still doesn't work it might just be a defective cpu. Try putting ur old one back in and see of it works.

CrazymanWO

Honorable
May 21, 2013

the 480 watt should suffice depending on how much watt your gpu takes. Is there a way you could buy a psu from a store, test it out, and if it works return it and buy a better one online? Cause its going to be a hassle if you buy a PSU online and it ends up not being a PSU problem, it will be annoying to ship it back out again.

CrazymanWO

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Ok i did some research, ur GPU only takes 50W so it cant be the psu unless the PSU is physically burnt out, but the symptomes you are telling me all direct the cause to the psu. I hade the same issue when I installed a new GPU. Everything would tunr on fine including fans and lights but nothing would show up on my monitor. This was becuase my PSU was underpowered. U might want to upgrade ur GPU in the future so if you do get a psu get something thats 550 watt+.