Slow CPU running below base clock speed? core i5

Lance de Jesus

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
i5-4200u 1.6Ghz to 2.6 Ghz Acer Laptop

Problem 1:
1. My laptop got very slow and i checked the task manager to see that my CPU got stuck at 0.76 Ghz. I dont know why. Shutting down the computer fixed the problem but what do you think causes this?. Im pretty sure the temperature wasnt hot when this happened.

2. After shutting down, I used the task manager again and the CPU ranges from 0.7-2.4 Ghz. I dont know if it was like this before. But how come the CPU still runs below 1.6Ghz which is the base clock speed?

How Do I fix these?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Intel has a couple built-in functions that lower your CPU's clock speed when it is idling. It does this to save power and reduce heat/wear on the processor. One of these functions is Speedstep. Windows also makes use of this when you have your Control Panel/Power Options set to Recommended.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I never really paid attention to it before windows 8 but while in power saver mode .6-.8 ghz is the norm for the most part (4700mq lenovo y410p laptop processor). It shoots right back up to around 3.2 ghz when i put it back on high performance mode.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Exactly. There is no need to put that small processor in high performance mode, though. When needed, it will run full out.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
It's windows 8 high performance mode, it just brings the cpu up in the process.

I do it sometimes when my computer seems weirdly slow; after which I remember I'm doing a bundle of different things while in power saver