My video card gets WAY too loud

hayden5757

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Hi I have a PNY GTX 580. The kind with the built in watercooling for the cpu and video card. When I play certain demanding games this card goes insane! From a slight hum to a jet engine. I bought this card for the sole purpose that it would be less annoying when it was running demanding games. But any more it could be used as a space heater for my room. I would say it heats up my room in roughly 15 minutes of play Far Cry 3 or Bioshock Infinite. It plays them just fine, but the jet engine sound is just unbearable. Is there a way to turn down the fans to a much more reasonable level. Even if they constantly stayed more than the normal but never went "jet engine loud" I would be happy. I have messed with the setting in control panel but even with manual setting this "silent watercooled" card wants to ramp up to 100% as soon as I start the game.

Also my girlfriend complains about the sound. :p

reyesz3

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

theres been problems with the 580 heating up alot more than other cards, but it has been out for awhile now so you cant fault it on the card itself. try adding more fans to the front and bottom of the case, it might help cool the card down and lower the fan speed alittle.

if you want to turn down the fan speed (manually), you could use the MSI Afterburner to manually set speeds for the fan based on certain temps.

if you have problems using Afterburner PM me