T42 IBM ThinkPad with Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG Network Adapter no longer detects/connects to networks.

C8H10N4O2

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
I have a T42 IBM ThinkPad with Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG Network Adapter.

No longer shows/connects available wireless networks (including my own).

Was working fine, then suddenly stopped detecting networks (which still work on other devices); Laptop will still prompt that wireless networks are detected in range but will not show any available networks.

Confirmed card is on, driver updated, wireless zero configuration running automatic but to no avail.

ip config cmds (/refresh /renew) result in error ("An internal error occurred: A device attached to the system is not functioning.)

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

StormNexus

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Try entering the credentials for the SSID manually as if the SSID was not broadcasting and see if you can connect that way. If not, and your'e still experiencing this problem (even under other networks) it's something with the hardware. If you have the driver to reinstall the device, I would try uninstalling the device and then reinstalling it. You will not be able to do a ipconfig release renew if you're not actually on the network. Let us know how it goes.

C8H10N4O2

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

Thanks for the response. Checking for driver updates (confirming it was up to date and then doing a reinstall) and manually entering network settings were some of the first things I tried with no luck.

However, I noted that this was an issue that cropped up after a recent Windows update (of course!) so I poked around and found that some other settings had been changed. (Actually stumbled across some other registry issues related to the update that tipped me off.)

Not sure which of the settings it was that resolved the underlying issue but I did note that my Power Management settings had been changed such that the wireless card was set to turn off to save power..? (I didn't even know that was an option and had already switched it off and back on again during the course of my troubleshooting efforts..and was plugged in at the time the issue first occurred and during the course of my troubleshooting efforts in the last couple of days.)

Also enabled throughput enhancement and then received notification of ip conflict.

At that point, repairing the network finally proved fruitful...

Was in a rush to get back online for work related reasons. So, unfortunately I wasn't able to take my time to test each change I made individually to hone in on the underlying issue.

In any event, I am replying from my laptop now, accessing my wifi network. So, problem solved for now, sort of. Though, interestingly, it is still not showing a list of any of the networks that I know are within range.

When I have a chance this evening, I will try and run some diagnostics to see if I can figure out what the heck is going on and which of the settings was/is causing the issue.

T42s have wifi issues, especially on newer security standards. I'd get a PCMCIA wifi card for that thing, almost every one I worked on ended up with an add-on wifi card to make it work better, or just work.

StormNexus

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
...Or you could buy a new laptop. You can get the T42 IBM Thinkpad for $60 Used on Amazon...

Regardless, it sounds like we've got it working for now. Let us know if you have new issues.

deadheart

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Well ,I know the answer is quite late but after reading a couple of hours in the forums and tried every solution to no avail..... i have found a "solution" to this problem by right clicking on my local area connection and chose disable.....voila, now my wireless work as it should, at least for now. Although this is not a real solution to the problem can save you headaches....
Hope this help someone

Take care