Need some advice on rebuilding my PC

ChopAxePiece

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Hello everyone,

I know this question has probably been asked 100s of times but I'm a new member here so go easy on me lol..

I really need your advice on upgrading components within my PC.
Couple of years back we bought a shelf desktop Packard bell Ixtreme PC from Currys/PC World, however over the years we have had it the graphics card is on its way out despite them apparently fixing it. I sometimes get blocks of multi coloured squares on the screen where there should be a picture or text.

I had to update my wireless network card to a dual band one has the one i had was only able to pick up a 2,4Ghz signal and i wasn't getting the most out of my broadband.

This has set me off to basically upgrade the lot. My budget is rather tight so i'm hoping you guys can shed some light in what would be the best purchase.

My current system spec is this:

4GB DDR3 Ram
Nvidia GeForce GT 320 Graphics card
Intel core 2 quad 8300 @ 2.5Ghz
1 TB HDD with a 320 GB expansion HDD (I just use the 320 to store photos etc incase my system ever crashed)
My mother board at the moment according to CPUID is ET 1850

That's the basic spec i think.

I'm after upgrading my Graphics card, Motherboard, Ram, CPU and possibly adding a dual layer dvd rw drive as well. I think my motherboard at the moment can only take a max of 4GB ram and the usb is 2.0...i want 3 if possible.

I'm looking to upgrade to an I3 possibly I5 processor. I play a few FPS games and need the response to be as good as possible. mainly its used for surfing and streaming videos, watching online videos, sky sports..stuff like that.

I've seen a graphics card i like called NVidia Geforce GTX 650 1GB DDR5 for around £70...which according to sources is far better than my card at the moment.

My budget is around £300 at the minute but will increase as i get more used to the lingo and the what's what of upgrading etc..i want to do it gradually over the next month or two so would need stuff to be compatible with the system i have now and in the near future.

Sorry for the long winded post but i wanna get it right without messing it up lol....

Thank you

Karl

ChopAxePiece

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Right after a bit of reserach I've found out that I need a a minimum of 400 watts to power this card. I've just ordered it along with a power source that is 750 watt. I just need help with a motherboard and processor plus cooling fan :)

Thank you