Is getting an SSD worth it?

Shubunkus

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
So, last year I built my very first computer with plenty space for upgrades in the future. I have now started thinking about those upgrades and was wondering if getting an SSD for my most used programs like the OS, Steam, and others is worth it? Right now I have a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Hard Drive. Will it make much of a difference? I feel like my current HDD isn't loading my OS as fast as I'd want it so that is why I am asking this question. If you think this is a good idea, let me know which would be your top picks for SSDs around the $100 mark. Thanks in advance!

CepheiA

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
A SSD is the easiest 'performance' upgrade you can make to an existing build. SSD vs HDD is night and day.

SSDs will greatly improve your general use and frequently used programs. Think bootup/shutdown/program load times.

128GB is the generally accepted entry level size which now costs about $100 from all major brands. The best drive is Samsung's 840 which retails for $99.99 on amazon, and occasionally will drop to $89.99.

If you're not a gamer, 64GB is plenty for your OS and some programs, otherwise, 64GB will fill up quickly after installing a few PC games. These will run you about $60-65.

Shubunkus

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

I am a gamer so 128GB will probably be better although the Samsung 840 only comes in 120GB but the 8GB isn't a problem. Is there a reason why it is almost 50% more expensive on Newegg?