Building a storage pc. Need help

DonMakaveli

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hi, I need help, I want to build a pc with a lot of storage and I want it to transfer files to my other computer. Like a nas? Can someone send me a part list? I'm planning on having 15+tb running on raid 6
Thank you

FireWire2

Distinguished
For storage you can have DAS or NAS
NAS is independent from you PC, data I/O via network card, where
DAS is pretty fast with local system and you can share it - similar to NAS, but abit short of functionality for network storage

NAS you use freeNAS. Openfiler, OpenSamba, or ANY Linux OS to run a headless system, but pay attention to NIC - prefer to use Intel NIC.
where
DAS just install a 8x ports PCIE raid card like ATTO, Adaptec, HPT... you can have is as internal or external solutions

Which one do you need?

DonMakaveli

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

I think I just need the DAS.
Can you explain me how to build one? And send me a part list. I will have a gaming pc, htpc for my living room, and other computers. Thanks

FireWire2

Distinguished

1_ If you have decent computer case
a) Install x6 HDD that you like - use desktop HDD, don't listen to all the BS about enterprise HDD. I have used 1000's desktop HDD - Hitachi or Seagate 7200.14 ( not earlier model)

2_ get a ARECA card ARC-1264-i8 with cable SAS to SATA - one of the fastest card

3_ Install drivers and create a RAID6 - note: you can expand your RAID6 later if you want to.

The above is internal solution

Here is external solution in case you dont have space or power for the RAID

get a 8 bay 6gb/s tray-less external case with 2x 8088 or equivalent
and ARC1223X

NASRAIDRecovery

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
If you have enough RAM, you could enjoy NAS4Free (ex FreeNAS)
http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php,
its ZFS filesystem and its iSCSI feature... all for free.
(with ZFS, suggested minimum RAM is 8GB)

On the other hand, also Open-E http://www.open-e.com/ is an interesting dedicated storage system to install on a bare metal. Though its free version, limits the storage to 2TB. We always use it as small (up to 2TB) NAS.

Cor.