AMD Says Xbox One and PS4 Will Be a Boon to PC Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
It will defiantly be in the first 3-4 years or soo... how about after that when the PC is over 10x more powerful and the consoles are worn out performance wise... or how about 7-8 like now - When the consoles are the sole reason most games have poor quality ect?

on the software side, I think AMD drivers have already come a long way, and the improved optimizations from games being made for AMD's jaguar architecture can only further improve performance of AMD's single card solutions. as for frame-pacing etc etc, it is a problem that AMD has more or less been forced to acknowledge, and progress has been made and should continue in the coming months, years.

As for hardware, AMD's problem has always been heat/power efficiency. tho unlike their battle with Intel on the CPU side, extra heat output for enthusiast class desktop GPUs is not a very significant problem. but when your dual-flagship card down throttles due to heat (7990 isn't the first time, think 6990 etc), it only creates a negative company image and leaves a bad taste for those dedicated AMD fans who shelled out $2k for a pair of 7990s at launch.

Thus, I think the 23% die size shrink on 28nm for AMD's Hawaii chip makes a lot of sense. if they can match or get close to Titan's performance, but get their heat-output under control, it would eventually lead to one hell of a 9990 card; better company image, and the GPU crown. We know NV is unlikely to give us a dual Titan card, so as an AMD fan, I hope this is where they can pull ahead this round

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
The main reason this generation of consoles will help PC games, is due to the fact that the consoles are now pretty much scaled down PCs. Making games for consoles came first, then they were ported and patched to work on PCs. Moving a game over to PCs will be much easier, because the hardware is closer than its ever been.

asiaprime

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
I'm reminded of nvidia not wanting to have hardware for the xb1/ps4 generation because it wasn't offered enough money. the point that games will be optimized for amd gpus, might be a good selling point for cards later, since they recognize the brand. poor planing on the nvidia front.

I'm hoping to see more console only games come to pc. hopefully this new gen will give us that. but from a developer standpoint, you'd have to support a bunch of clueless 'gamers' that don't know their system specs. if I were running a developer, I would port it after I get the console numbers.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I'll believe it when I see it. It's easy to talk big game but just because it's easier, doesn't mean the companies will spend the extra time to optimize PC versions. I really hope they prove me wrong but I guess you can call me bitter from the last 7 years of un-kept promises.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

It's not like performance of consoles will become stagnate in the upcoming 7-8 years. Console technology will increase along with PC to some extent.

So don't worry about the future. As of now the Next-Gen console will be positive for PC gaming in the upcoming 2-4 years due to being based on same/similar architecture.

Games look great on the Next-Gen consoles already. In 2-3 years Developers will be able to optimize their releases like how the Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls(?) so games will look better and run better. PC's hardware is better than the consoles and will get better every year. In a good situation that means we will be able to run games better at a higher resolution and with better graphics.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
according to mores law we get 2x performance every year and its been that way for ever, now my pc is already 2x faster or more than the so called nex-gen (lol) consoles, the most powerfull one you can build today is about 4-5 times as fast now take in consideration moores law and the pc will be closer to 20x faster than consoles in just 2 or 3 years

"When consoles are first launched, games are first developed on console and then ported to PC,"

Wrong. Do UnrealEngine, CryEngine, Source Engine,etc run on consoles? No they run on PCs and games are first developed on PCs first then the performance is fined tuned to that of the consoles, then this version of the game is ported to PC so console gamers won't cry about PC games being high quality.

Why was and is the PC platform being neglected. It wasnt the difference in architecture between consoles and PC but it was the high rate of piracy on the PC platform. Eliminate piracy on PC and consoles will not exist.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

I doubt the console kids will know or care to know what kind of hardware their consoles are running, let alone purchase a gaming PC with AMD parts just because the consoles have something from the save company. In the end, the ones who provide better performance will sell more - like always.

mufarbubu

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
I moved to PC gaming in the last generation and it was worth it BUT that was mostly because of the ghastly load times of the consoles. Playing a game like Deus Ex was unbearable on PS3 since I get caught a lot in stealth games. Playing it on a SSD on my PC made the game incredible. If the load times are much faster on a console I will gladly sell my gaming rig as the graphics boost are no longer as important to me and seems to be hitting a ceiling where graphics are less important in gaming. Most importantly I'm tired of buying games on Steam and they don't work or take hours, days, or months for me to figure them out. I'm pretty good with computers but I time is money and I don't have the time to trial and error my way to playing a game properly.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
AMD, I dont believe any of this, and they are just trying to convince PC gamers to keep buying more amd products...

There is no indication by any developers i know of that they intend on making more PC titles now

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

Where is that tactical face palm IMG?

They proved console piracy is just as big if not a bigger issue years ago.

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Remember, it's just a pitch. AMD won the contracts to power the latest consoles. So why shouldn't AMD be positive about how AMD gpu's are the way to go if you want the best experience. It really should make no difference what a pc gamer has. Just because it should be easier to port a game, doesn't mean the game will be all that great or visually stunning.

InvalidError

Titan

Not really.

Moore's law states that transistor count doubles every year. As far as CPU performance is concerned, you need to look 4-5 years back to find CPUs half as fast as today's in a given desktop market segment.

Even on the GPU side performance scaling in starting to level off with product cycles becoming longer: we used to have two new product launches per year from both ATI/AMD and Nvidia (new architecture + refresh with tons of tweaks and significant performance improvements about six months later), now they stretch products over a year if not longer.

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

agreed, best example is gtav it was in all torrents for both consoles as early as 11th and they say pc has piracy issues

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

ok, but heres a fun fact when nvidia was planing on launching the gtx 6xx cards they were prepared for a lot more powerfull line of cards from amd, but since that didnt happen they changed the whole lineup, best example is gtx 670 is was ment to be a lot lower end card thats why it didnt have a full size pcbit was ment to be like a 660 or even 650

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
It might be a pitch, but games can now essentially be designed around a single architecture to support multiple platforms, instead of multiple architectures AND multiple platforms. Much easier development and more efficient design, consoles will have less power to leverage then future PC's but keep in mind it's a lot easier to optimize performance on a console then a PC. This is also yet one more reason why Nintendo really shot themselves in the foot this generation.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
I'd rather see more console ports from the PC. I don't like being limited to controller-like character movement in games. The only games I consider playing with my controller are racing and sports, controllers for all other genres are for the birds.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Oh man I can't wait! Imagine Nvidia's moto of The Way Its Meant To Be Played changing in AMD's favor. Basically every developer will optimize their games in AMD hardware and it would be interesting to see how it will fare out for an Nvidia/Intel setup.

Also... I can only hope in enthusiasm that given the similar architectures an XboxOne/PS4 emulator would be possible. I'm very excited for this gen, I'm due for an upgrade but will have to wait it out to see if this gen favors AMD more.

Status
Not open for further replies.