cant find the change for USB booting in BIOS

jerry1984

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
hi. i have samsung s3511 with windows 7 installed on it. thinking to change it for linux OS but everytime i go to BIOS the USB boot order option isnt highlighted and as a matter of fact the hard drive, cd/dvd boot order arent highlighted either. just have updated BIOS to a newer version although the older one had the problem still

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Yeah, newer laptops have that, If its possible, try making the boot splash screen last longer, (Should be somewhere in the bios) Then, Look for a button (Obviously while the splash screen is going) That says "Boot device" Usually its F10-F12

jerry1984

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
the usb device was plugged in when i tried to search in the BIOS. could you please add more detail on how to make a splash screen last longer as i aint the best when it comes to computers. thanks

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Okay, When you go into the Bios, What settings are there?
(Dont own a samsung, So, Dont know the bios that well)

jerry1984

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

ok, i found the boot order now i have bunch of options there. couple of USB options, hard drive, CD/DVD etc but most of them are N/A except the hard drive..curious how to get it to be available and have it to boot from USB. cheers

Xyloriuphon

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Okay, If this is in the bios, Then, you prbably need to have the USB plugged in, if not, just set The two usb's first, then the disc drive, then the Hdd LAST.

If your on the screen with that shortcut after the splash screen (if at all possible) Then, Try each usb setting when the USB is plugged in..