I am wondering now how much difference is there between DDR3 CL11 and lower CLs, as well as higher frequency, for gaming.

Zeqiang Zhao

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
Recently bought new components and built a new desktop. I am wondering now how much difference would it have made if I were to use better RAMs.
CPU: i7 4770K
RAM: Corsair 16G (2 x 8) DDR3 1600MHz CL11.
GPU: ASUS GTX 770
MB: MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX
HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200rpm

These should be the components that matter.
On most of the games I have played, the frame rate and visual effects seem to be fantastic. However, when I play my favorite MMO game: PlanetSide 2, I get really shitty fps. (100 near Warpgate, 60-80 during travel, 40-50 during small fights, ~20-35 during intense fights)
PS2, though known for poor optimization, shouldn't run this bad. I have asked in game and some people said that they have steady 50+- fps even with an i5, or CPUs that are 2-5 years old. The new i7 should at least be better and faster than most other PC processors, but with this kind of configuration something is just wrong.
So the question is 2-fold:
1, what is possibly wrong with my build, that I have poor fps playing PS2
2, Can this be possibly attributed to my RAM having high CL timing? Although I have 1600 DDR3s, their CL is 11, which is not top-class. I have seen CL8s, 9s and even 10s, for like $10, $20, $30 more expensive, but when I bought my rigs I thought CL shouldnt make a huge difference in most games.
So I wonder if I upgrade the current RAM i am using to better ones with higher frequency and/or smaller CL, would it improve general gaming performance, and if so, by approximately how much, for my system?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
While not a fan of MSI (I won't build on their mobos), might check for latest BIOS and mobo drivers, also check for the latest driver for the 770, the DRAM is a stinker, you have 1600 which is fine for gaming, but the CL11 is very slow, entry level 1600 is at CL9, performance 1600 is generally CL7 or 8.....would suggest that or heading up to 1866/8 or 9 which is roughly the same as 1600 entry level, pricewise

Zeqiang Zhao

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013

Yeah I did not know too much about CL when I bought those kits. Now I have read some articles and did some research I realize that I shouldve gone for a better one for some marginal cost.
What brand would you recommend? I know Corsair is the go-to brand, but I think other brands are good too. Mushkin, GSkill, Kingston? Any specific recommendation regarding models? Thank you!