Help needed for new build. Primarily gaming .Some desktop publishing & light video editing.

0li4tw

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Hello,

I'm hoping for some advice on my new system if possible. As the title suggests I am looking for a system capable of high end gaming (primarily) but also to deal with some light video editing and moderate amounts of desktop publishing.

I have spent a few days looking over forums and trying to figure which parts will benefit me for what I need, so here is the list with some justification for my choices. I'm looking to buy this soon to replace a system that recently ceased to work:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

I've read these are pretty much the best for the gaming atm, and I can't really justify the extra cash for the hyperthreading provided by the 4770k. I wanted socket 1150 as hopefully it will be future proof for a while, though im not counting on it.

Mobo - Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Just researched and read this is a good board and will be fine with some overclocking.

Cooler - Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

I'm looking for my system to be as quiet as possible, i've read these coolers can handle some light overclocking, without a ridiculous cost and are also rather quiet. If anyone knows of a better option (also with the case) for quietness mixed with ability to OC please let me know.

Memory - Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory

I went for the 1866mhz to help with the video editing/dtp slightly opposed to 1600 which i've read is ample for gaming.

Storage and Case:
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case

Fairly straight forward, though in a few weeks when I have more cash I will buy a 256gb SSD.

Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB Video Card

This is one I have already, again in a few weeks I will be looking for a better one as obviously at present that is hardly "high end". I guess I would be open to ideas on SLI or a single gpu.

Lastly the PSU - Antec EarthWatts EA 750 Power Supply Unit (UK)
This one I already have, though i'm not sure whether or not it is suitable for this system so any advise on that would be muchly appreciated.

I hope I am on the right lines with this build, any advise or extra information at this point would be great. Please feel free to completely debunk all my thinking if you know better. Everything I've written is based on some research over forums/reviews but this market is a minefield so I could have gotten it wrong.

Also, I hope this post complies with the general etiquette of asking for help!

Many thanks,
Oli

Digestive97

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
RAM: As far as RAM you could get more for editing part but it won't be a significant boost for gaming. I could suggest you to get a 4x4 kit from Corsair Vengeance but if you're going to stick to that graphics card it's better to stay at 2x4 and save another 2x4 kit until you get your new graphics card. But 1600mhz should be enough for gaming so having more than that isn't going to give a significant boost at all.

As for video card i'm thinking of buying the EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC ACX and prehaps run SLI on two of the cards but that might be out of your budget so i suggest you get radeon as they pure power for the money. Check out Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB but hurry up it's currently on sale and there's only 5 left, check if it's compatible with your setup.

Rest seems fine.

0li4tw

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Thanks for your advice, I think I will do as you say and get the 8gb for now and perhaps see if it covers my needs. Editing is not an essential part of the system and I would probably prefer to put the extra cash towards the video card in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I can't afford the card right now as that Radeon looks like a good deal.

Does anyone else randomly have any comments about my build?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS