AMD to Webcast 2014 GPU Showcase on September 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leamon

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Honestly, I would rather have them perfect their drivers. There are just so many issues with Crossifre, DX9, frame tearing, and .

It seems like AMD needs to take a step back and get their drivers in order. This would make any subsequent hardware release awesome news.

For now, I don't see how they keep pumping out great hardware with sub-par drivers. I guess if people keep considering 2nd-rate performance as value, then AMD will see some success with a new gen of GPUs.

xerxces

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I recently went from two 6870's with constant driver and micro stutter problems to a EVGA 760 and I have t say Nividia won me over. Unless AMD really ups their game, I will be sticking to Nvidia.

ct001

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Seems funny that someone went through and thumbs-downed any criticism to AMD. I too would like to see better drivers, as I consistently have had issues with their drivers. Just because the drivers work fine for you, doesn't mean they work fine for everyone. Their hardware is good, and I love the idea behind HSA (zero-latency access to shared memory opens up a whole slew of previously difficult to GPU-ize algorithms).

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
@aggroboy - Shrinking doesn't always yield positive results. I remember when Intel shrank their P4 Northwood (130nm) to P4 Prescott (90nm). It was a fiasco.

jamger

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
lol i dont see whats the prob right now with their drivers i have no issues at all so far, actualy been working better than my pair of gtx680 were no idea why tho but my 2 7970 r going perfectly fine :p luck i guess lol

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Frame pacing is supposedly a hardware issue, so you just have to deal with it for now. I'm sure they'll have a competitor for titan, maybe even beating it out for a lower price point

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah the only driver issues that seem to plague them is crossfire and they are at least pretty close to fixing most of those issues. How many people have AMD CF set ups anyway? i mean its been an issue for a while, i have a single 7950 and have not noticed a single problem. (except on windows 8.1 when sometimes it crashes when you wake the computer but they've fixed that now)

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

You are absolutely right! Because the fact they haven't had to bring out any competition from their 7XXX series while nvidia had to release the 7XX series and Titan video card to remain competitive isn't proof what-so-ever. Still rockin a non-reference 5850 and it still gets me by with todays games.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
@babybudha - Die shrinking had nothing to do with a Prescott fiasco. Prescotts have longer pipeline than northwood and that was the reason for bad clock-to-clock performance.

rRansom

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Hope the new GPUs will be good enough for vendors to significantly drop the price of reference 7950's so I can bag a second one around December. Here's to hoping that happens.

Prescott was better in power by quite a bit. They had 65W TDP CPUs at 90nm running at 3.8GHz:

http://ark.intel.com/products/27507/Intel-Pentium-4-Processor-supporting-HT-Technology-3_80-GHz-1M-Cache-800-MHz-FSB

The problem was Prescoitt was the poor performance compared to Northwood.

AMD is hopefully bringing out a GPU that can outperform Titan while being priced below the GTX 780.

Personally I think that top end GPUs (single) should stay $500 or less while dual can take the $1K mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.