Build problem, no post, no video, bios update for ivy bridge to work with X79?

droidtn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
So here is the build.

Fractal Design Define XL R2
Corsair X850 PSU
Asus Sabertooth X79
Intel i7-4820 LGA2011
Corsair Vengeance LP 16gb
Sapphire HD7970 3gb
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Samsung SSD
WD Black 1TB

My problem is no post :( no video and red cpu light stays on. When I boot, I get power on for 5 seconds, then a shutdown and reboot, comes back up red CPU light stays on. Everything seems to running fine. All fans are running, including video card. No post beeps at all.

What I have done:

unplugged/replugged everything, board power, drives, video cards, and everything else.
Reseated the CPU, checked for bent/broken pins, etc. Found nothing.
Reseated RAM, used different power cables for video card just for the hell of it.
I tried to use the boards bios flashback feature with a USB stick and BIOS loaded on it. Not sure if it worked with no video.
Flashed/reset CMOS with the jumper.

This is my first build ever. Bad CPU? Bad Mobo?

When I loaded the parts into PCPartPicker, I get this message about possible incompatibility, "Some Intel X79 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Ivy Bridge-E CPUs."

Could that cause the problem I am having and if so, how can I update the bios with no video? The mobo does not have onboard video. Thanks one and all!!

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
Yes, that motherboard does require a BIOS update to supprt the new ivy-brdige E processors, could you replace that mobo and processor with a i7-4770k and a mainstream Z87 board maybe?

Gurt

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
I also need help with this.. Bought z79 sab and the 4820, about to finish the build during the weekend and judging by this thread this issue is just waiting for me..
Please help, what can I do? I don't have a working PC which makes this even worse but I can use one at friends to download a patch etc.

Please!

droidtn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009

Wouldn't I just be able to update the bios. Wouldn't that be easier?

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

You could try.

droidtn

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Ok, I tried to update the BIOS using the Asus flashback feature. It didn't work at all. I tried to flash the CMOS and again it didn't work. I guess my best buy is to send both back, it is a shame that a board designed for LGA2011 socket doesn't work with a great processor like the 4820. Especially when Newegg's product listing for that mobo says ivy bridge ready. So now I have to downgrade, because upgrading to a 500+ processor isn't an option. What processor would you get to work with the board that I have?