ASRock Z77 Extreme 3 Motherboard showing random colors on screen after running for few hours!! and then PC shutsdown in some t

amitpatekar

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Hi All:
I build a rig just last week below is the config
* Intel 3.4 GHz LGA1155 Core i7 3770 Processor
* ASRock Z77 Extreme 3 Motherboard
* CoolerMaster Thunder 500W
* WD 1TB Green
* Samsung S24C350L
* Corsair DDR3 8 GB/ 1600 MHz

It all works fine for few hours and then my PC shows random colors changing rapidly and randomly. This continue for some time and then the PC shutdown.

I am sure its not the problem with Monitor. Suspect is on Mobo. Please help how can i debug such problem which is random in nature but very annoying.

Any help will be appreciated.
Please help
Regards
Amit Patekar

amitpatekar

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Thank you rudlan and tiny voices for your reply.

No external graphics card yet, Inter Core i7 3770 has internal graphics

Processor Graphics ‡ Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Graphics Base Frequency 650 MHz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 1.15 GHz

I just removed all the wires/connectors and reattached it again. Lets see if that solves the problem.
If not then i am going to replace my DDR3 RAM with some other RAM stick so that I can get to the root of the problem.

Will keep you all updated on this.
Regards
Amit

amitpatekar

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Hi All:
After 24 hours of continuous running it just happened again. But this time it was not colorful random display on screen, its was black all black.
This is really disgusting situation. I have spent about 1K USD on this and this is what i have got :(

I guess I will have to replace one component at a time to get the problem detected.
Any suggestions or tools will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Amit

G

i think you have to get GPU, NVIDIA or AMD, dont use motherboard GPU/ integrated GPU.

amitpatekar

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Yes trying to do that now, I am kind of new to this world of debugging computers. Asrock is powerful mobo has lot of options for OC. But I am using default settings, do you think increasing voltage to RAM or some thing like that will help.

Regards
Amit

amitpatekar

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Hi I have done memtest for 9 pass last night and it showed no errors. Here are the results https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVKhLhiCcAEo1tX.jpg:large
Now remaining are Mobo and PSU to test.
But as the PC was running the whole night I dont think its PSU problem as it did not restart when doing memtest for 10 hours.

I guess mobo is the one which is giving problem, I have only 2 days remaining for replacement ( I bought it from flipkart.com ) they provide 30 days replacement without question. I will give it a try.

Thank you all for your time and help. Great community and great members.
Regards
Amit Patekar

amitpatekar

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

I have just raised the replacement request with flipkart.com
Is it common to have such problem with new mobos??
Is Asrock not a good company for mobo?

Thank you

amitpatekar

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
DOA i can understand but my mobo is working and giving problem after running for 3 to 4 hours. Mobo has in built over heating protection is this what might be the problem? I am using standard cooling fan which comes with the intel processor. I am using ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility it is showing CPU temprature at 38C / 100F, Mobo Temperature almost the same. I am not gammer, using this machine for daily office work.

amitpatekar

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Code:

Sorry to bug you but strange thing happened today. Yesterday before doing memtest I removed the RAM and inserted in other DIMM slot. I have 4 slots, previously it was in 2nd from the processor side and now its in the 3rd from the processor side. And the PC is running from last 8 hours and no restart :)

I will test the whole night today and lets see what the result will be.
Do you think changing the RAM position in DIMM slot has any positive effect ( have you experienced anything like that in the past)

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Amit

amitpatekar

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
CPU pins? what has that to do with CPU pins, do you mean the pins of the DIMM slots?
If you can explain in little detail that will help.

amitpatekar

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Hi
I was so excited to get the mother board replaced and got brand new again seal pack
I got the mother board replaced but the problem is still present :(

I will get the RAM replaced, lets see.
Any suggestions?

Regards
Amit

amitpatekar

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Hi Tiny Voices:
My computer is ON from last 3 days and it not giving any problem.
It was not problem with mother board, RAM was also good. It was problem with monitor drivers. As the monitor is HDMI and I was using default PnP Drivers it was giving problems.

Now i have installed the drivers for monitor Samsung S24C350L every thing is working fine.
It was awesome talking to you on tomshardware. Thank you for all your help and time.

Regards
Amit