Dying graphics card? (laptop)

tyronelannister

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
I've noticed recently that
1) Random artifacts on screen
2) Fan is on for no reason (like when I turn on my computer...)
3) AMD Display driver has crashed and recovered
4) Occasional BSOD's

Things I've tried
Memtest
New graphics drivers
Cleaned some of the dust off the fan of the gpu
Lowering performance on GPU (aka increase battery life) (seems to have helped)
Turning off Aero Peek (also seems to have helped)

As for specs
Windows 7 64 bit(Lenovo Y560)
Core i5-2410M @ 2.30 GHz
6gb RAM
AMD Radeon HD6570m

Anyways, is my graphics card dying and what can I do to fix it? I appreciate any help I can get and thank you for your time

tyronelannister

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

well, i'm not really sure how to enable on-board graphics or if I even have one. though i did go to device manage>display adapters. there was only one option (AMD 6570M), which i proceeded to disable.

i noticed the fan is still on so i'm not sure if it helped. plus it's forcing me into 1024x768 and disallowing the use of a lot of programs.

i should add a few things. i have dump files but not really sure how to read them and i did drop my laptop flat on the back of the lid the other day (from fairly high too!). my battery popped out and i suspect this might be because of that. i had not noticed symptoms of this earlier... it just happened out of the blue.

So the problem started from there, not instantly but some time after. It could happen nothing unusual. And yes you have on-board video thus giving you that resolution and not allowing some programs to run.

I would suggest you to take it to a service centre, the laptop needs a good inside look, that can be done by a pro. Maybe something is broken inside or damaged, let them have a look and decide what to do.

And if everything is ok except the GPU, and it needs to be replaced, then they are the one to do the job.