asking about crossfirex microstuttering

potpolima

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
i am planning to buy another 7750 since i already got 1 from 4 months ago..i researched 7750CFX reviews and 7750cfx performed really well like 80% performance increase..unfortunately,what i heard from many people is that crossfirex is a bad choice due to microstuttering issues...is this true or just a myth??should i buy another 7750 or not?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No, it is true. M-S is prevalent with both Nvidia and AMD dual card systems. Nvidia has it pretty well under control finally, but AMD still has some issues. AMD has recently released a beta driver (13.10) that remedies the problem fairly well. They incorporated a fix called "Frame Pacing" in the beta driver. It still has some drawbacks ,but makes a big difference. I just tried it on a 2nd machine (i7-875K/HD 7870 CF), and it works pretty good. Here is a review of it: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/08/01/amd_catalyst_138_beta_frame_pacing_crossfire_driver/
This is a review of the previous beta driver, 13.8. But 13.10 is an improvement on even that.

But back to your situation. The other problem with dual AMD cards is that they have more m-s when they are of the lower end variety. 2 x HD 7750s would be in that category. If your card was a bit higher on the "food chain" I'd asy go for it. But with the HD 7750, I think I'd pass unless you just want to take a chance.

i would not recommend cross-firing low end cards, like has been said above, they suffer more from micro-stutter than the higher end cards. They also suffer from frame rate dips in heavier scenes compared to an equivalent single card. Having said that, i havnt seen any reviews of the lower end cards wih the new beta driver. But even the new drivers aren't perfect with poor crossfire support for many games that it doesn't work at all with, so check the games you want to play actually support crossfire. The 1gb vram of those cards is also limitation with many newer games, useable vram of 2 cards in crossfire does not double, it is the same as the vram amount of a single card. You will also want to check you motherboard and psu specs to make sure that crossfire will work at all with them. motherboards with a 16x/4x pcie slot setup often dont work properly with crossfire. you want a 16x/16x or 8x/8x pcie setup for good cross-fire performance and avoiding stuttering.