iPhone 5S Teardown Reveals Glued Battery, Lack of M7 Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorky

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
iPhones are just overpriced junk. I've owned two iPhones in the past and both times the battery ended up dying. I had to hire someone to take it apart and replace the battery. I've junked both and switched to Samsung Galaxy phones. Now, I can pop off the back, replace the battery, replace the back cover, and I'm good to go. Apple sucks!

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Meh, while I am in NO way a proponent of Apple products beyond the people who I feel they are best suited for - such as my Nana, who I set up with an iPad rather than an Android tablet when she wanted to "start using the computer and doing the e-mail" - the reality is, Apple is one of the largest players in the technology world at the moment, and they tend to release product announcements only a few times a year and all at just a few events. It stands to reason that, when those events happen, there would be a glut of media attention - even pointless fluff articles like NBC is spamming out at the moment.

Conversely, we get a smaller but far more steady stream of Google, MS, etc information in general. We might actually get more of that, just far less concentrated so it seems like less.

mensajd

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
This appears to be the first commercial release of an ARMv8 64-bit processor. Is that not interesting news?

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/20/chipworks-apples-a7-chip-made-by-samsung-m7-co-processor-by-nxp/

States it is its own chip, believe me I wanted to call it the magic chip but it looks to be its own chip. Ifixit made a mistake

Soda109

Honorable
Jul 2, 2013
64 bit processor with 1 gb ram. Latest load of iJunk. Going from 32 to 64 bit only makes the thing slower with the same amount of ram. 32 bit windows requires 1gb ram. 64 bit requires two. Im more excited for the galaxy s5 then this piece of junk.

*sigh* I hate defending Apple, but you are wrong. Just plain wrong.

drunkenbloke

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
@CaedenV could you explain the point of a 64bit chip with less than 4Gig of RAM for me ? I am a bit stupid but I thought the point of moving to a 64bit architecture was to allow for a greater addressing range so a single process could use more than 2.5Gig of RAM and the system culd use more than 4Gig is there some other benefit that I have not been told about ?

maxxum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
@drunkenbloke - That's just a benefit, not the purpose of 64bit processing/addressing. Programs will be able to move larger chunks of data across the bus. Memory requirements are another factor which programmers can address.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
64 bit computing is marketing non sense for apple. Number 1 64 bit versions of most all apps have very little bit benefit in the consumer space, and in many cases run worse than their 32 bit variants. The point on a phone simply because it's 64 bit processor doesn't mean you'll necessarily see any benefit other than it sounds good for Apple marketing machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS