Does the i7 4770k have any issues with gaming?

Malarkey_

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
I've been hearing that hyper threading causes some heating and over clocking problems. People have been telling me that the i5 4670k is better as its more value for money but cost isn't really an issue. Also I was hoping of doing some sort of video editing in the future and thought the i7 would suit it better.

The i7-4770K has no issues with gaming at all, and since you are going for video editing as well, you'll want the i7. If it were an ONLY gaming build, we typically recommend the i5, as the i7 is overkill and really only useful for video editing etc.

Malarkey_

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

• Cheers mate. Appreciated.

GamerDad

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
I won't bother repeating the above but I will go on to explain why the 4770K runs so hot.

It doesn't run hot directly because of hyper threading, it runs hot because hyper threading is an intensive cpu action that consumes a lot of power. I just wanted to make it clear that heating issues are the fault of hyper threading, but the fault of power consumption caused by using such intensive actions.

As for overclocking issues, I'm not aware of any. You might be referring to what is common with all Haswell chips being that because of the voltage regulator, NONE of the Haswell chips can be overclocked very much. However, it is wrong to assume Haswell desn't perform better than Ivy bridge did.

Haswell performs better at lower voltages, making it defacto overclocked as compared to Ivy Bridge at like speeds (4.0GHz Haswell uses less power than 4.2GHz Ivy Bridge with same performance).

Malarkey_

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

Is it ultimately wiser to purchase the i5 then and is there the possibility of being able to turn hyper threading of when it's not needed to cool the CPU to a normal level.

GamerDad

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

It certainly is possible to turn off hyperthreading but no, it is not wiser to get an i5 if the OPs intent is to do a lot of video editing. As stated, the hyperthreading will make a world of difference when editing.