PC repair technician

Kylemccolgan

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I am in high school and i was wondering what classes should i take to become a computer repair technician. My passion is computers and how they work and i want to be able to help people with their computer problems. i was wondering you could suggest any classes i should take that would be beneficial. I am already taking classes titled 'into to programming with java' and 'adv. programming with java' and will be taking ap computer science'. But i want to fix computers for people as a career. How long would i go to college for and what would my major be called? I am thinking about applying for Best Buy throughout high school. Does anyone know qualifications for there to fix computers? Thank you very much.

Solution
Best requires you have zero skills at fixing computers. Seriously, most "techs" there are idiots and you already probably know more than all of them combined. You can apply for the experience, but be warned that your real objective will be to push either expensive upgrades or new computers on people and make money for the company. Pushing someones RAM stick back into place because it came loose when the kid knocked the PC over and charging $10 or $20 for a quick service isn't something that they do. As a small console/PC repair business, that's what I would do. I don't charge like $150 to reformat a PC like Best Buy does and 90% of the time, they don't backup your data anyways even though they say they will, they just say, we...
Best requires you have zero skills at fixing computers. Seriously, most "techs" there are idiots and you already probably know more than all of them combined. You can apply for the experience, but be warned that your real objective will be to push either expensive upgrades or new computers on people and make money for the company. Pushing someones RAM stick back into place because it came loose when the kid knocked the PC over and charging $10 or $20 for a quick service isn't something that they do. As a small console/PC repair business, that's what I would do. I don't charge like $150 to reformat a PC like Best Buy does and 90% of the time, they don't backup your data anyways even though they say they will, they just say, we couldn't get it, it was too far gone.

As for school, there is no real courses for fixing PC's. I have a computer science degree, and in reality, because of my career choices, have never used it once really. Took me 12 years to pay off, looks fancy, does nothing. lol.

Solution