Need HELP installing Windows on my new SSD!!!

Nino Guarisco

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
I just received my new M500 240GB SSD from Crucial. Tried to instal Windows Vista from an my old recovery disks that game with my Gateway system when I originally purchased the computer. It DIDN'T WORK! I tried three times and it still did not work. Seemed to be going fine but at the end of the process it would say "Can not install windows on this computer".

My plan now is to buy a new copy of Windows 7 or 8 and do a brand new, clean install. Two questions.

#1 Will it work??!!

#2 Did my attempt to install from the recovery disks put a bunch of crud on my clean, new SSD? Do I need to do anything to erase the new SSD, or will a clean install of Windows format the disk?

Thanks for your help. This has been a frustrating experience, to say the least.

NG

Don't spend more money on a new Windows DVD! Download the ISO from Microsoft and just burn an installation CD: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/where-can-i-download-windows-7-iso-i-have-a/7d964b05-2be9-4800-bc7f-3ca30356fc3d

And yes, it should work!

popatim

Titan
Odds are that the pc being old enough to have Vista on it will need the sata ports in IDE/ Compatibility/ Legacy mode for the restore to work. You can change the mode to ahci afterwards. Google for it, there are plenty of guides.

I completely missed the fact that the current OS is Vista.

Please disregard my previous recommendation to D/L the Win 7 ISO. If you want Win 7 you'll have to buy a copy.

Sorry for the confusion.

Yogi