Is it worth upgrading my processor?

tstehler1

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Hello there,
I just got a semi-old Dell XPS M1330 from my parents, and it's not the fastest computer ever. I was wondering if it would be cost-effective to upgrade the processor.

SYSTEM SPECS
Dell M1330 XPS
RAM: 4 GB (soon to be 6 GB)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.5 Ghz

I realize that I can only use processors that are 800 Mhz and below (restricting me to about 2.5 Ghz), which makes me wonder if it's worth finding a new processor. If so, could someone recommend a model? I've seen the T8300 mentioned, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

cerefo

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
You should upgrade to a better CPU, but the problem is this, that most of the Laptop's motherboard support only a few processors, so it's really hard to find a good processor. So basically I'll suggest you forgot upgrading the CPU. If you find any CPU, then make sure that it's fully compatible with the motherboard, or else you'll loose your money!

—Hope it helps!

PCDave

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

I'll come out and say that changing your laptop CPU honestly isn't worth it.

I'd instead recommend you upgrade to an SSD, as that actually improves performance which you can notice on a day to day basis, which you can carry onto other systems as well.

If you happen to move your laptop all the time, and need durability I'd than recommend an Intel SSD, as they have a great reputation of reliability. If your looking for value, look into Crucial or Samsung SSDs.

I'd also recommend upgrading to Windows 7 or 8 if you plan on upgrading to an SSD.

Let me know if you would like some help.

tstehler1

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

I would indeed like some help. When we're talking SSD, would I be looking to replace my current internal HD, or would I be looking for something external (USB)?