Spire BlackEagle 550W

scristi

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Howdy folks. Soo, my akasa 400w psu is kinda giving me some trouble, after i cut the power to the computer, and then i plug in back in, my computer fails to start, it starts after i wiggle and pull out/plug in the cable for a few times (sometimes even 50)...

I determined that the problem is the psu indeed, because i used another psu and it started, plus the mobo has its capacitors ok.

Now i have about 50 USD to buy a new one, and i think the Spire Black Eagle 550W is a good choice, it is upgrade proof as well.

It has 2 12v rails at 16 amps each, 82% efficiency, 2 pciex 6+2, 1 4+4 pin and the rest you know anyway.

I tend to trust Spire since my experience with their products has been quite good, but i need your help and advice with this one.

I loved my akasa because it was DEAD silent, it had 2 12v 14 15 amps, it was nice.

My system is a Gigabyte MA770-UD3 mobo, Phenom 940 quad 3 Ghz proc, 6GB ram and the elephant in the room, a Sapphire HD4870 which is quuuite hungry.

So the things i would like to know about this power source is if it's silent (i also hate coil whine), if it's quality stuff, and if you have any other recommandation, please share it here.

Thank you for reading the full story. Cheers.

scristi

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
But why is it thrash? Just because it's spire? Come on, now, there are other companies that make quality stuff outside of corsair and seasonic.

A 550w PSU with a split 12v rail (junk already because of this), that only makes 16A on each rail is no good at all.

A good 550w PSU should make at least 38A on a single 12v rail.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013&Tpk=xfx%20550

this is a quality 550w unit. It makes 44A on the 12v rail.

I would not use a modern GPU on a split 12v rail that only makes 16a on each rail. Sorry, its total crap. That 550w unit you have there would struggle to run even low/mid range GPUs. The xfx I linked could run ANY single GPU without problems.

Sorry to say but your Akasa was not very good either. This is likely why it failed. Your GPU Might shut down the commuter on the Spire unit as it would require more Amps than it makes. The 4870 need 32A on the 12v rail. You would be pulling the PSU dry and because it is NOT a quality unit and uses a POOR OEM, it will most likely fail. The Spire unit is not good.

scristi

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Would a Corsair VX450 be ok? Keep in mind that it's made for Europe and Asia, so you might not find it on a us retailer, so let me tell you the specs:
It's unfortunately a 2 rail 21 amps and 18 amps, it has 85 % eff, even though it's not certified because it doesn't work on 110v. The price is quite good, even lower than the spire. I'm from Romania, so i can't really buy from newegg.
Later edit, after your postt, then i should find an affordable single rail 32 amp? Ok, let me see what i can find and i'll be back.

scristi

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
I miswrote, it's a VS450, and apparently it's single rail (or so it says on the corsair website) but here http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/corsair/vs-series-vs450/ it says it's dual layer....... let's see if some other site has it clear.

scristi

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Well, i'll just have to ask them before buying it, but if it is indeed 1 rail, i found somewhere that it might be 34 amps, which i thinck is more than cool, and the price is great, 169 ron means about 51 bucks, so that's as good as deal as i will get on a corsair psu. Thank you tiny voices, you have really been extremely helpful, it didn't even cross my mind to check for the card's reqs.

Beetleke1976

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
This Psu sucks its good for low end pc's and as a spare one for standard work.
My pc has it becuase it was in a spare pc and my old one died. now with my ROG crosshair v formule z continuosly says undervoltage. so going to get me a be quiet dark power pro 1000w, becuase going to need it with crossfire asus matrix R9 280X platinums