SATA to IDE (IDE only mobo, hard drive upgrade)

satatoide

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
I have this old computer that only supports IDE drives. I want to upgrade the current 80GB hard drive to a new 1TB SATA drive. I want the SATA drive to be the boot drive with the OS installed on it. I bought a SATA to IDE adapter similar to this one but not the exact one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186078 (i bought mine from a local computer store). I also bought a 1TB WD blue drive. This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339
I then booted the computer with the sata drive on the primary ide channel set to master via the adapter and the optical drive set to master on the secondary channel. The bios recongized the drive no problem. I entered the xp set-up and it too had no problem recognizing the drive. Since the new sata drive was partitioned I selected format from the cd menu. This is where the problems started. The cd said it was unable to format the disk. I tried both a regular and quick format. I then took out the hard drive and formatted it without problems on my other computer. I put it back in the ide computer and tried to install win xp without formatting. For every file during the installation I got an error saying that the file couldn't be copied and asking if i wanted to abort or skip the file. So since this wasn't working I took out the sata drive and adapter and put in an old 40GB IDE drive and installed winxp no problem. I then took the ide drive to my other computer and hooked it up using a usb to ide adapter. I then used dd in linux to clone the drive onto the new sata drive. The new sata drive now has a full install of winxp on it. I then put the sata drive back into the old computer and booted from it. The startup got to the winxp screen with the loading bar. After a couple seconds the loading bar freezes and then nothing happens. After 10 mins I had to shut of the power because it had clearly frozen. I have tried playing with the jumpers on the sata drive to decrease the speed of the drive but that hasn't worked. I tried booting into safe mode but that just blue screens with the error "unmountable boot volume" Ive tried running the winxp recovery console and running the fixboot command but i get an error "the boot sector can not be fixed". I also tried fixing the mbr. it said a new mbr was successfully written but the computer still freezes on startup. I suppose i should also mention that when i boot off of the current ide drive in the old computer with the sata drive attached everything seems to boot correctly and when im in win xp i can see the sata drive and even copy files to and from it. I do get errors though about not being able to copy the recycling bin files for the sata disk or something. Have I missed something or does the sata to ide adapter just not work? Thanks.

popatim

Titan
When using the drive with the adapter, are you connecting power to the adapter and connecting the sata cable to the 'to drive' port?

How are you supplying the HDD sata power? It does not get power from the adapter.

satatoide

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

The sata drive gets power from a 4 pin molex to sata power adapter. the sata to ide adapter gets power from a separate 5V line.

popatim

Titan
well technically the floppy power plug has 12v on it also but I doubt its gets used by the adapter... LoL

The drive is an Advanced format drive and not supported by XP-32bit. Do you have the jumper across pins 7-8 ?