Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Chinese Manufacturer Builds a 2000 Watt PSU

Last response: in News comments
September 21, 2013 12:15:05 PM

Just curious if there is a practical application here or if this was just done for marketing hype.
Score
September 21, 2013 12:18:31 PM

Great Wall power supplies: now with twice the explosive capacity.
Score
Related resources
September 21, 2013 12:27:15 PM

punahou1 said:
Just curious if there is a practical application here or if this was just done for marketing hype.

Dual hexacore, 3-4 gpu 12 HDD setups obviously.
Score
September 21, 2013 12:28:29 PM

There is no way I would trust a 2K Chinese PS. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a 1.5K(or lower) with 2K peak power marketed as 2K.
Score
September 21, 2013 12:29:26 PM

Dual CPU Workstation rendering computer with multiple graphics cards.
Score
September 21, 2013 12:29:49 PM

If the streetlight don't dim when you turn on your setup, your power supply is too small!!
Score
September 21, 2013 12:41:01 PM

"Chinese Manufacturer Builds a PSU that says 2000W on the box" would probably be closer to the truth.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2013 12:49:42 PM

moulderhere said:
Dual CPU Workstation rendering computer with multiple graphics cards.

Even that wouldn't come anywhere close to requiring 4x EPS12V connectors unless AMD decided to release a multi-socket Opteron variant of FX9xxx.
Score
September 21, 2013 1:10:18 PM

so in american homes its a 1600w psu and only places that can push 240v power (i.e. data centers) will be able to use this to its max capacity... well till the chinese capacitors blow a week later that is.
Score
September 21, 2013 1:46:36 PM

i think all powersupply come for china... why all this hate? that chinese people maybe stolen the project of evga super powersupply and give it more room for Watts. if some one uses the 2000w its a serious worker not a crazy damn gamer.
Score
September 21, 2013 2:01:05 PM

No offense tho but if you own an EVGA SR-x dual CPU mobo and with two hi end Intel Xeon E5 procs installed in it and you're planning to go SLI using two GForce Titan or if you're a 3d artist using a similar spec Pc and rendering realistic 3d images who's using your pc 14-20 hours a day and at times leaving it rendering while you sleep, it's kinda hard to upgrade to a PSU like this with unverified power ratings and we're not really sure if the capacitors and other components in this psu is reliable (while saying its 80p gold) to power those said hardware components right?.. Coz you'll never know anytime as you use your pc, suddenly it might go BAAM!... Bzzzt..bzzt...swizzzt... There' goes your 10 grand PC... :-(
Score
September 21, 2013 2:09:25 PM

I would prefer 2 corsair AX1200i instead. Cheaper, platinum rated, trusted and still provide me with 2400 watts.
Score
September 21, 2013 2:13:08 PM

Single 12V and single 5V rail?
Score
September 21, 2013 2:13:54 PM

They are all made in china anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if they make some power supplies for the big names we trust everyday. If it said made in USA, South Korea or Japan (developed countries with higher pay) etc. then it would be news.
Score
September 21, 2013 3:42:44 PM

simmiy said:
I would prefer 2 corsair AX1200i instead. Cheaper, platinum rated, trusted and still provide me with 2400 watts.

But you would need a wall socket with independent 15A breaker for each of your AX1200i. Otherwise, you're still limited to 1800W total.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2013 3:53:11 PM

You get what you paid for.....somebody needs to put that in a lab and check it out...
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2013 4:34:27 PM

shin0bi272 said:
so in american homes its a 1600w psu and only places that can push 240v power (i.e. data centers) will be able to use this to its max capacity...

220-240V is the standard wall voltage in much of Europe, Asia and South America so for about half the world population, there is no need to live in a datacenter.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2013 5:07:47 PM

chicofehr said:
They are all made in china anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if they make some power supplies for the big names we trust everyday. If it said made in USA, South Korea or Japan (developed countries with higher pay) etc. then it would be news.

I believe Seasonic makes their PSUs in Taiwan. But that's about as far away from China as you're likely to get.

Anyway, Great Wall makes some decent power supplies (some OCZ models, for example) and some crappy ones. This 2000W PSU will likely be decent quality.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 21, 2013 5:11:31 PM

milktea said:
simmiy said:

But you would need a wall socket with independent 15A breaker for each of your AX1200i. Otherwise, you're still limited to 1800W total.

Except in most of the world, where higher voltages are used. 220V or more is used in all of Europe, most of Asia, parts of South America and most of Africa.
Score
September 21, 2013 5:39:41 PM

Great Wall? As in the car maker?
Does this also have asbestos built into it?
2000watt house fire edition.
Score
September 21, 2013 5:40:12 PM

Great Wall? As in the car maker?
Does this also have asbestos built into it?
2000watt house fire edition.
Score
September 21, 2013 6:30:32 PM

The day I have to plug my PC into an outlet in my laundry room is the day I tell myself I done with the hobby.
Score
September 21, 2013 8:08:58 PM

Most if not all Seasonic and FSP PSUs are all built in China now too. However, they still have their headquarters in Taiwan, and they own their factories too I believe. So I trust their quality control much more.

Basically not all Chinese products are built in the same place, and quality is all over the board. Some are bad, some are good. What I buy comes down to QC, design, and testing. But I'd still take a Seasonic or FSP unit (or any rebadges of same) over a lesser quality brand given a choice. I've seen many a PSU let out the magic smoke, and sometimes take other hardware with it. It's worth the extra money.
Score
September 21, 2013 8:25:29 PM

ps3hacker12 said:
To be honest, their 80+ gold rated power supplies have been pretty good, the OCZ ZX 850w and the OCZ ZT 750W are two examples of gold rated great wall products and they are pretty good.

jonnyguru:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

hardware secrets:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/OCZ-ZX-Series-85...

lets hope this behemoth is as good as those two.

I prefer OCZ units built by FSP. Anyway:

I think Jonny Guru reviews are decent, but I think he went a tad high on the scoring for that unit especially in the build quality department. Also, I think you'll find that PSU is NOT a Gold PSU at all - it's Bronze. So kind of a bad example.

As for the ZX unit, the situation is even worse - a same-cost Seasonic or FSP unit will be better. Even the review you linked to pointed out that the competing Seasonic model had less noise, ripple, cost the same, and could handle way more power than it was rated for - without a hitch. Why get an inferior product for the same money?
Score
September 21, 2013 10:18:12 PM

ALWAYS goto Hardwaresecrets.com for PS reviews...
Score
a c 117 ) Power supply
September 21, 2013 11:07:01 PM

shin0bi272 said:
so in american homes its a 1600w psu and only places that can push 240v power (i.e. data centers) will be able to use this to its max capacity... well till the chinese capacitors blow a week later that is.

Meanwhile, in China, where it's marketed, it works fine (and most of the rest of the world too).

I'd hope that they managed to scrounge the few extra dollars for decent caps in a unit that pricey.
Score
September 22, 2013 1:41:45 AM

For $650 I picked up a entire case from Supermicro 747TQ-R1400B that comes with two 1400 watt redundant power supplies that ARE Gold Certified.
Score
September 22, 2013 1:42:28 AM

For $650 I picked up a entire case from Supermicro 747TQ-R1400B that comes with two 1400 watt redundant power supplies that ARE Gold Certified.
Score
September 22, 2013 3:36:51 AM

Perfect - just what I need for my dual (bridged) Mobo 6 way SLI set up :) 
Score
September 22, 2013 3:50:54 AM

Someone Somewhere said:
shin0bi272 said:

Meanwhile, in China, where it's marketed, it works fine (and most of the rest of the world too).

I'd hope that they managed to scrounge the few extra dollars for decent caps in a unit that pricey.

Also to illustrate where they use 200+v just look at this map and look at everything that is not red.

I personally am curious about the build quality and such, just because it's made in china doesn't mean its bad.
Hell lenovo is a Chinese manufacturer and look at their high end thinkpads, they don't look crappy build.

Another thing am I the only one that finds the name Great Wall funny for a Chinese component manufacturer (the great wall aka the big censorship on the internet)
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2013 5:00:06 AM

qlum said:
Another thing am I the only one that finds the name Great Wall funny for a Chinese component manufacturer (the great wall aka the big censorship on the internet)

I think it's named after that other great wall you may have heard about.
Score
September 22, 2013 5:01:28 AM

Sakkura said:
qlum said:

I think it's named after that other great wall you may have heard about.

Obviously but its not the great wall that comes to mind with computer related stuff.
Score
a c 2001 ) Power supply
September 22, 2013 8:47:57 AM

Sorry , the quality just isn't there with Great Wall units.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2013 9:03:47 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
Sorry , the quality just isn't there with Great Wall units.

Their OCZ ZT and ZX units are decent quality. Certainly better than eg. Corsair CX PSUs.
Score
a c 2001 ) Power supply
September 22, 2013 9:14:11 AM

I wouldn't take a CX for free.
Score
September 22, 2013 10:33:23 AM

The power supplies made in China for XFX and others are just ASSEMBLED there. They are not designed and built from the ground up from Chinese engineers and materials. Also, those manufacturing facilities are closely monitored for QC by said companies to sent their manufacturing there.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2013 12:15:29 PM

Wang computers rise again.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2013 2:05:49 PM

Although this is great and all...

I would still prefer to split the power load between multiple PSU's for more reliability and redundancy ^.^
Score
September 22, 2013 2:19:30 PM

warezme said:
There is no way I would trust a 2K Chinese PS. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't a 1.5K(or lower) with 2K peak power marketed as 2K.

Yeah... its not like the Chinese have experience building power supplies, or televisions, or video cards, or pretty much all the electronics in the entire world. Also, it states around 80% efficiency, that's how power supplies work. I hope you realize how stupid you sound.
Score
September 22, 2013 3:44:34 PM

Read the fine print.

"PSU my only be able to handle 900w under load."

JK ;) 
Score
September 22, 2013 4:13:21 PM

If you have a build expensive enough to use this...you wouldn't use *this* psu. You would choose a platinum rated 1500W. Made by a company that doesn't have suicide nets.
Score
September 22, 2013 5:11:25 PM

2000 Watts from a China Brand, I have a real bad feeling about this.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2013 6:54:47 PM

UltimateDeep said:

A "China brand" that has actually produced some decent PSUs, sold under the OCZ brand. They lived up to their wattage ratings just fine.
Score
a b ) Power supply
September 22, 2013 7:37:54 PM

UltimateDeep said:

At $650 which is 2-3X the price of other high-power units, I would expect it to have the finest Chinese engineering, workmanship and materials available.

I have a hard time imagining how such a PSU could justify the huge premium on it but we won't find out if there really is more than smoke and mirrors to this unit until someone actually reviews it to find out.
Score
September 22, 2013 8:06:38 PM

Jack Revenant said:

did u ever realize that most of the branded psu was oem in ShenZhen China ? the manufacturer that make good psu for those favorite brand could just label a fancy name and sell it as their own brand.
Score
September 22, 2013 8:16:40 PM

sonofliberty08 said:
Jack Revenant said:

did u ever realize that most of the branded psu was oem in ShenZhen China ? the manufacturer that make good psu for those favorite brand could just label a fancy name and sell it as their own brand.

I'm having a bit of trouble parsing what you're trying to say, but if you're saying that any PSU could come from a good or bad brand OEM, I disagree. I, at least, check not just the branding but the manufacturer on any PSU I put into a system, to avoid that exact issue.
Score
September 23, 2013 12:12:28 AM

Jack Revenant said:
sonofliberty08 said:
Jack Revenant said:

I'm having a bit of trouble parsing what you're trying to say, but if you're saying that any PSU could come from a good or bad brand OEM, I disagree. I, at least, check not just the branding but the manufacturer on any PSU I put into a system, to avoid that exact issue.

good or bad, almost 90% of them are OEM in ShenZhen China by different manufacturer, include those which label as American brand, if something came from China will be explode, anything in you house will explode, include your iphone/ipad......
Score
September 23, 2013 12:47:47 AM

sonofliberty08 said:
Jack Revenant said:
sonofliberty08 said:
Jack Revenant said:

good or bad, almost 90% of them are OEM in ShenZhen China by different manufacturer, include those which label as American brand, if something came from China will be explode, anything in you house will explode, include your iphone/ipad......

1, I have a personal distrust specifically of Great Wall PSUs, not Chinese-made PSUs in general. 2, I do not own an iPhone, iPad, or any product along those lines.
Score
!