Lost DVI signal during game (Portal)

mattsc

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Hi,

I bought a new Dell XPS 8700 about 2 weeks ago, mostly for home computing needs, but also for some gaming (Portal 1, Oblivion, Skyrim...I'm not very picky about playing with high settings, either) . I'm not very computer literate, but I'll do my best to post specs below:

-CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz
-RAM: 8 GB
-GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7570 (1 GB)--not a great card...probably should've bought one separately
-Display: ASUS VS229H-P (IPS) (bought separately)

When the DVI lost signal, I was playing Portal while running these programs in the background:

-Microsoft Word 2013 (2 open documents)
-Steam

So there I was, had just loaded a savegame from this morning (played just fine for about 20 minutes), and was barely 3 seconds into resuming my game when the monitor went blank, said it had lost DVI signal, and went into standby. I tried to exit the game blind, but to no avail. Then I shut down with the power button on the case, waited a couple of minutes, and turned it back on. Monitor worked just fine now that Portal was gone.

From my limited perspective, I would think almost any new-ish discrete GPU--even my 7570--should be able to handle Portal, which is not exactly a new game. What's going on? I've read a number of threads on this issue and it seems that the likely culprits are:

-Underpowered/faulty PSU (GPU drawing too much power...but with a 7570 running Portal???)
-Overheating GPU (for Portal???)
-Faulty DVI cable
-Improper display setting

One last thing: I did buy this monitor separately from the Dell purchase...could it be a driver compatibility issue? Like...the video card doesn't have the right drivers installed (currently version 9.12.0.0) because I didn't order a monitor with the computer? But then...how would I be viewing this webpage?

Any ideas? Thanks for any help, and sorry if the above descriptions are confused or incomplete.

mattsc

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
Update: I tried again while running no other programs (not even the Steam interface) and everything was fine...at least for a few minutes. I just wanted to see if it would fail immediately, and it didn't this time around. After a few minutes, though, I exited to write this post and then resume working on my term paper :(

Update 2 (next day): have played Portal twice today for about 30 minutes each time. Weird. Problem solved... ?