Intel Pentium 4 531 prescott 3.0GHz - Which HSF to choose?

Ere_19

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Hi,

I have a very old pc with the "Intel Pentium 4 531 prescott 3.0GHz" (socket 775)
and i currently have the Arctic Alpine 7 pro HSF, and after
i reapply new thermal paste (it's been a few years since i installed it), i get around 50-54 degrees
celsius on idle, and up to 70 degrees celsius when cpu is at 100% (sometims it's 74 degrees, but going back to around 68 degrees).

I have one 80mm fan in the front and one at the back.

I know this prescott tend to run hot, but do you think if i replace to another HSF i can get
better temp?

I don't want to spend too much on this old pc, so i saw this other Arctic Cooling HSF
called "Alpine 11 PLUS" .
Do you think this one will do a better job with cooling down this CPU?

Many Thanks.

Ere_19

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013

Hi, thank you.
Theoretically, do you think the "Alpine 11 PLUS" will cool it more than the Arctic Alpine 7 pro ?

Many Thanks.

Based on this review http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Arctic-Alpine-11-PLUS-CPU-Cooler-Review/1607/6 I wouldn't expect too much from it since it still is a small HSF with a 92mm fan. Note that the temperatures are above ambient; actual temperatures are much higher.

You provided your CPU temperature, but how did you get it (software isn't that reliable)? What's the CPU temperature in the BIOS? What's the ambient temperature?

Ere_19

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
I used the Asus Probe 2 software to read the tempratures.
I looked also in the bios, and it's about 45 when you first start the pc, but if you leave it for a few minutes it gets to
around 50-55.
The room temp here is around 25 degrees celsius.

The temperature in the BIOS is higher than idle, but that's normal. Are you sure you didn't apply too much heat paste? A very very thin layer is required to fill the voids; too much is worse than not enough. If your case has good airflow, the idle temperature should be no more than 10-15°C above ambient. Are you overclocking the CPU?

To be honest I wouldn't spend one penny on a 531. 7 years ago I bought a 541 and I was happy to give it away a couple weeks ago.

Ere_19

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
I applied a small amount (maybe pea size) in the center of the CPU, and
i installed the HSF on it. before i locked the pins i rotated the HSF a little to the sides,
so the paste will spread underneath.

I do not overclock the CPU.
I read that a lot of people had heat problem with these CPUs.

I think i'll leave it like that for now.
Thank you.