230mm Side Fan - 2x 200mm Top fans - Thermaltake Chaser MK-1

Chadbytes

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
So I recently changed over to a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 case, and I'm loving it!!

In this change over, I also installed the Cooler Master v6 GT CPU cooler as a upgrade. (All of my basic browsing temps are in the 30's on a i7 930 Quad core)

This case ships with the following:

x1 200mm front intake fan
x1 120mm rear exhaust fan
x1 200mm top exhaust fan

This case also houses the ability to add up to a 230mm side fan, an additional 200mm top fan, etc.

** I have already ordered a Bitfenix Spectre 230mm fan for the side panel, and a 200mm Cooler Master MegaFlow top fan.

My main questions are fan directions.. Whats ideal for maximum cooling?

230mm Side panel fan blowing in or pulling out?

Top x2 200mm fans both acting as exhaust (pulling out) or both pushing down, or one pull, one push?

What is ideal in most situations?

----
My hardware:

Thermaltake MK-1
Corsair 750TX
i7 Quad Core w/ Cooler Master v6 GT
MSI GTX 670 Power Edition
128 GB Solid State w/ 1TB HD

Chadbytes

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

Sort of what I assumed. My biggest curiosity was to see if having on of the top fans pushing in would circulate air if it were the one closest to the front.

Chadbytes

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

And believe it or not as is its pretty quiet compared to my last build with 120mm and 80mm = noisey

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There is no hard and fast rule for fan direction. Just what seems to work best for the individual application. Play around with different patterns if you'd like. It won't hurt anything. Just make extra work for you. You could have both top fans blowing in if you like, but it would increase the likelihood of more dust entering the case. And you don't want two fans competing for the same air. The air flow path I laid out is the norm.
What direction is your PSU fan facing?

Chadbytes

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds about right. No bueno to dust, but one thing I can say is the thermtake has very nice filters over all the fans. I will try what you are says are that's the current configuration that I have. Would the extra 2 200mm pointing down drop temps enough for it to be worth a little extra dust?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I really don't think you'll have any issue with keeping the temps inside the case down with all that air flow. And dust can be as bad as heat if it contains any electrically conductive particles.

lightswitchon

Reputable
May 24, 2014

Specs do indeed say 200x200x30 mm fan for the side intake.

However I have a bitfenix spector pro 230 mm and it fits like a glove. So there shouldn't be a problem.

Side note (or top note, if you will), I installed a 200 mm spector fan on the top in the slot closest to the front, but the cover wouldn't fit back on, so you'll have to swap the placement of the stock fan if you're going to use it.

Cheers!