have new mother board Asus m5a 78l-m 8 gb ram, and segate sata2 hd, can not install win XP/7/8, get 'machinr check exception

andrew simpson

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
all win OS goes into loop and BSOD comes up 'machine check exception' some times black screen with options eg: 'safe mode' to 'load windows normally' none of these work just goes back to a loop, win 8 went as far as putting key code in then did the same went in to a loop, also had BSOD 'bad pool header'

AGTDenton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Just to clarify is this Motherboard brand new or did you buy it used?

If you bought it used then I would highly recommend clearing the CMOS: based on the information provided clearing the CMOS on your motherboard is Jumper based.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/#support_Knowledge_219487F5-9FAF-4349-9BE8-B83C2E6E7565

You can also try loading fail safe defaults from within the BIOS if you are not comfortable with clearing the CMOS.

Sometimes installation errors can be down to faulty RAM or Hard Disk, so I would run MemTest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic, and also the disk diagnostics from your hard drive manufacturer.

Another thing to make sure is that your Hard drives are set to IDE mode in case you have some kind of incompatibility or you don't have a driver disc.

aswsimpson

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

hi,
sent it back to the company i brought it from they fixed it, faulty AMD possessor, installed win 8 64bits, ok, just need key
thanks your help
andy

AGTDenton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

Glad its solved - what company did you send it back to, sounds like you got some good service!