I have been trying to install a SATA hard drive on to my ASROCK P4VM800 motherboard but have not been able to. I have been to

sai Kote

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Installing sata is a simple task,
simply plug one sata cable end to sata device and another to the motherboard,
If u already have an hdd u may need to configure ur bios for hdd to boot from

scottdd

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

scottdd

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Hi Sai thanks for your answer. however if it were that straight forward i wouldn't of had a problem.
Apparently there are drivers on the motherboard that need to be copied onto a floppy, then i need
a settings disk for the motherboard. Trouble is I dont have a floppy drive or a settings disk.

Perissh

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013
If I remember correctly I had a similar problem awhile back with a different component on my computer after reformating. What I ended up doing is using a different computer to go to the manufacturers website and getting the updates I needed and burnt them to a CD. Then used the CD drive to install what I needed to. I forget whether or not I needed to go into BIOS and set it to boot from a CD or not. Hope this helps!

jtuck004

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
"Apparently there are drivers on the motherboard that need to be copied onto a floppy, then i need
a settings disk for the motherboard. Trouble is I dont have a floppy drive or a settings disk. "

Just curious, where did you get that information, that there are drivers "on the board" (probably not) and a settings disk? Generally speaking, Sal is correct - in most of the modern OSs, the drivers are built in, and load up the hardware.

But sometimes...I have a Gigabyte motherboard, and a Western Digital 1 TB 6/gb drive that loads up fine under Windows 7 or linux mint 15. When I load Server 2012, it will not see that 1 TB SATA drive, no matter what, although it works with other hard drives. It offers the options for a driver loaded from a "floppy" as you suggest, but the mboard mfr says they aren't writing drivers for that, so my only choice is to get another, mroe expensive, board. So I am switching boards.

In other words, there may not be an option for what you are wanting. Check with your motherboard mfr and see if there are drivers for the drive you are trying to install, or even try another operating system.

TRENDING THREADS